Getting a new boat

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Getting a new boat

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:03 pm

I prefer auto to manual for towing a boat as well. Modern automatics are much better than they used to be. I especially like an auto on the boat ramp. Trying to work a clutch on a steep, wet ramp can be a chore which can end up with a burned clutch or a sunk truck if you are not good at it. With most any modern automatic, its a breeze.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:19 pm

I'm going to have to say no. Automatics are much better than anyone shifting a manual hands down. I had to buy a new truck for delivering ice, very heavy dense stuff. When it came down to it. All the manufactures and independent watch dogs, data gathering entities (think J.D. Powers) are right on the same page. 80% few repairs for commercial trucks with automatic transmissions. After the initial bitching about the auto the only problem I had with the truck was settling the arguments about who was going to drive it. The pros said, after I got over the initial not shifting, its way easier to shift it in drive and let the computer do the work. 80% fewer repairs translates to much better productivity and safety, not to mention quality of life for the driver.
If you like to shift, that speaks for itself. Knock yourself out and have a great time.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

gfakkema
Commander

Post by gfakkema » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:49 pm

Last edited by gfakkema on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Founding member of P.I.N.K. (Pink Idiots Need Killing), for the prevention of IDIOT pink salmon "anglers" everywhere!

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:17 pm

gfakkema wrote:Alright, seems we've turned this thread from buying a new boat to an auto vs. manual thread. .................. To each his own though.
On that we can agree :)

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:21 am

Larry3215 wrote:
gfakkema wrote:Alright, seems we've turned this thread from buying a new boat to an auto vs. manual thread. .................. To each his own though.
On that we can agree :)
As I said, if you like to shift, knock yourself out, have fun. [wink]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

dizzyedge
Petty Officer

Post by dizzyedge » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:45 am

I finally did it. Got a used 16ft smokercraft. It'll go where I want and not so heavy that I'll have issues towing it. Now I just have to learn how to fish with a boat instead of from shore.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:29 pm

Congrats!

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:36 pm

Hey dizzy, do you have a fish finder for your boat? If not, I just found an older Garmin 200 I have thats been sitting forgotten in my shed for a few years. Its a very basic fish finder but it does work reasonably well in shallower water. I need to double check but I think I have every thing you need to get it hooked up.

Dont know where you live, but if your willing to come get it in Gig Harbor or pay shipping, its yours. Google it to check the specs and see if its something you might want.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:54 pm

Although the condition looks to be a bit questionable, something simular to this would be a great boat for your tow rig.

14 Lund with 8hp yamaha 2 stroke - $999
http://skagit.craigslist.org/boa/5487182182.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one looks very nice and there are a couple appropriate trailers on CL right now!

12 ' Lund with 9.9 Suzuki outboard - $2500
http://skagit.craigslist.org/boa/5470697683.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dizzyedge
Petty Officer

Post by dizzyedge » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:50 pm

Larry3215 wrote:Hey dizzy, do you have a fish finder for your boat? If not, I just found an older Garmin 200 I have thats been sitting forgotten in my shed for a few years. Its a very basic fish finder but it does work reasonably well in shallower water. I need to double check but I think I have every thing you need to get it hooked up.

Dont know where you live, but if your willing to come get it in Gig Harbor or pay shipping, its yours. Google it to check the specs and see if its something you might want.
Thanks for the offer but it came with a Humminbird 343c fishfinder so I think that should work for now. Also came with two Penn manual downriggers and a few other things. Can't wait to get it out in the water and take it for a spin.