Kicker Motor problems, Mercury 8HP

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Kicker Motor problems, Mercury 8HP

Post by Bodofish » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:29 am

I've never suggested using Seafoam to stabilize ethanol fuel. That would just be silly. It's only to clean the varnish build up and unstick the diaphragm flappers and clean fuel jets. After it's run it's course, no need for any more. In fact I normally use Stabil in the fuel to keep it in suspension. Personally I'd rather see the tank run through engine rather than have it dumped on the ground somewhere because fresh fuel was a great idea.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

duffy
Petty Officer

Post by duffy » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:24 am

Don't recall anyone suggesting to dump fuel on the ground. That's just plain stupid. I either burn it up in my pickup if it's not too bad or recycle it with my waste oil if it's gone over the edge.

Hewsfisher, yes it's a pain to get non-E fuel and it is more expensive. I have take a drum over to Ritzville to get mine but that lasts me a while. I use it in all my small engines, mower, boat, 4 wheeler ect and they run like their suppose to and that's worth it to me. I very seldom get to go and play and when I do I don't want to be fixing crap during playtime!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:20 am

Just offering "alcohol free" options Bodo, there's no alcohol in any of the Merc products I mentioned and they'll do the same thing as Seafoam when used as recommended (probably similar products manufactured for Yamaha, Honda, E-rude, etc. would do the same). [cool]

Duffy I agree on the PITA part of obtaining non E fuel, even worse now with the boat stored 80 miles away. I'd just as soon see ethanol removed from all fuel, but somehow don't think that will ever happen. I treat all my non-road fuel so I don't have to worry about octane degradation (happens to non-ethanol fuel too) or congealing/gumming. Fringe benefit is never having to "winterize". :cheers:
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:47 am

Yep, I hear that. The only time I use Seafoam is to clean out a gummed up carb and for that I've found nothing that works like it does. No if and or buts about treating fuel for non-road use and I also hit my truck for every other tank as it really seems to keep those injectors well lubed. But no Seafoam for that. It's the Green Stabil. Our Beach house boat fires and runs like a top off the third pull every summer after sitting all winter. It's good stuff.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:35 am

Bodofish wrote:Yep, I hear that. The only time I use Seafoam is to clean out a gummed up carb and for that I've found nothing that works like it does. No if and or buts about treating fuel for non-road use and I also hit my truck for every other tank as it really seems to keep those injectors well lubed. But no Seafoam for that. It's the Green Stabil. Our Beach house boat fires and runs like a top off the third pull every summer after sitting all winter. It's good stuff.
It's high time I get some Seafoam then, never used it, my old 90 hp Honda could use some love after 17 years. It occasionally stops when trolling at the slowest speed. Where's the best deal Bodo? Thanks in advance! Treating 25 gallons in the main tank, double up on the recommended amount?
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:00 pm

If you have a small tank you can hook up it's better. Run a couple gallons through. I just get it from the local Auto parts store. Not enough price difference to chase around.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:59 pm

Well I had the day off so it was a fix-it day. Patched my drive way holes and cracks (annoying job but needed it. Fixed the bilge pump (switch died), poured a couple 15 pound downrigger cans to replace one I lost on Merwin (now where did that shelf come from???), ran SeaFoam (1/2 bottle in my 5 galloon tank) for 30 minutes or so, some in neutral, some in gear. Motor sounded to be running great, so thanks all for your input. Repeat to myself 3x - "take better care of my stuff..."

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:08 pm

Awesome! And cheap!!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:44 pm

Mike Carey wrote:Well I had the day off so it was a fix-it day. Patched my drive way holes and cracks (annoying job but needed it. Fixed the bilge pump (switch died), poured a couple 15 pound downrigger cans to replace one I lost on Merwin (now where did that shelf come from???), ran SeaFoam (1/2 bottle in my 5 galloon tank) for 30 minutes or so, some in neutral, some in gear. Motor sounded to be running great, so thanks all for your input. Repeat to myself 3x - "take better care of my stuff..."
Yippy!!!!!!!

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:47 pm

[thumbsup]

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:52 pm

Bodofish wrote:If you have a small tank you can hook up it's better. Run a couple gallons through. I just get it from the local Auto parts store. Not enough price difference to chase around.
I'll rig a 3 gal can to the fuel manifold, hit the main and kicker at the same time. Due to the fittings, I'd have to rig something any way to hit the main. Thanks!
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:06 am

Bodofish wrote:Yep, I hear that. The only time I use Seafoam is to clean out a gummed up carb and for that I've found nothing that works like it does. No if and or buts about treating fuel for non-road use and I also hit my truck for every other tank as it really seems to keep those injectors well lubed. But no Seafoam for that. It's the Green Stabil. Our Beach house boat fires and runs like a top off the third pull every summer after sitting all winter. It's good stuff.
No doubt Stabil is good stuff and I used to use it for all my non-road use stuff except my outboards. Got tired of having this stabilizer for these motors, this one those motors, and just went to one for all. I buy Merc's Quickstor and Quickleen in quarts, mix ratio is simple, price is better (23 cents per gallon of fuel) so now everything gets the same mix. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:00 am

I just use the green Stabil on everything. So far I've had no problems. I haven't had a problem with gas in years. Well as a fuel......... [rolleyes] [razz]

Greenfishnut
Petty Officer

Post by Greenfishnut » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:23 pm

could be fuel related-clean the total system:

Also since it died and would not start again while hot that leads me to the spark (coils) breaking down- unknown if you have a power-pack or not (brain). It stated when cold but not when hot leads me that direction- try this when you have the time place it in a barrel and keep running like a good fast troll- when it dies check for spark at the plug- if not then it is electrical- if spark but will not start try starting with WD-40 ir it fires then it is fuel related. If fuel related check all hoses vents and the bulb plus all lines up to and including the carb- Usually a plugged carb will run only on 1/2 to full choke and nothing else
Old lawn and garden small outboard mechanic here now retired
Just my 000.02

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:27 am

Just an update, the stabil seems to have done the trick. My motor is running like a champ. I find one thing of interest - the choke nob doesn’t depress the button thingy everytime, either sticking or whatever. I had to push it down with my finger one time, although it generaly is starting right up.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

dutchman2858
Commander

Post by dutchman2858 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:06 pm

Mike: I didn't read every post, but if you haven't changed the spark plug lately I'd suggest it. Easy, cheap, and helps insure you're getting a good hot spark.