Boat Dolly Ideas? Help!

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Gwendylyn
Petty Officer

Boat Dolly Ideas? Help!

Post by Gwendylyn » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Hi all!

I am in the drawing board stage of figuring out how to make a dolly for a little boat I picked up this weekend. It is light enough for me to load in & out of the truck on my own but just heavy/awkward enough that I can't make it more than a few feet carrying it. I've been all over youtube & noted a few good ideas I would like to incorporate but not a completed product that I'm in love with yet. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience making one of these or if you may have an idea to share.

It's a Sportyak II, about 7 feet long & 3.5 feet wide. The boat basically looks like a heavy plastic bath tub. Please save the ugly boat jokes as I am under no illusion that I shouldn't be embarrassed taking this thing out in public LOL Was only $40 & it's the perfect size for me and one of the dogs to get out on.

So what are your ideas/experience? I am currently thinking the rear axle & wheels off a jogging stroller (they have larger wheels than normal strollers) as a starting point
The fish that got away, gains at least 2 lbs a day. It's science.

kzoo
Commodore

Re: Boat Dolly Ideas? Help!

Post by kzoo » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:01 pm

I use mine for a canoe. I made mine with wheel barrel tires, 2x4, couple hooks, and a strap. The wheel barrel tires works well in rugged terrain.

Gwendylyn
Petty Officer

Post by Gwendylyn » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:12 pm

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:45 am

Hah! Pretty close, I didn't have the cross pieces for the hooks and straps. I also had some landscaping wood that had a nice round shape to set the canoe on.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:41 am

Congrats on the Yak! :cheers: If you post some pics of the thing it might help with wheel ideas. I think your idea about the jogging stroller wheels is a good one. You can buy commercially made ones on Amazon, but like kzoo did, it's probably be fairly simple to build one.
Last edited by BentRod on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gwendylyn
Petty Officer

Post by Gwendylyn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:26 am

No jogging strollers at the junk shop this morning but they did have a kids bike with some sweet tires on it.... Pictures to come shortly

Gwendylyn
Petty Officer

Post by Gwendylyn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:33 am

Looks almost exactly like this with the exception of no wooden seat & another molded in seat across the back.

The bottom is identical.

salmonbarry
Warrant Officer

Post by salmonbarry » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:31 pm

what about a piano dolly? they are square with 4 casters and come in different sizes and may work. Just a thought [confused]

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:35 pm

Did you see the wheel you can buy that hooks to the back?
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Sport-Roller- ... B004XVQA3S

Gwendylyn
Petty Officer

Post by Gwendylyn » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:55 pm

Hi Barry :) I have something similar & the wheels weren't big enough to be of much use. I tried to tinker with it but couldn't get it to work well enough without tearing it apart.

BR- Sure did. I can't stand the thought of spending $90 on a single wheel without trying to figure something out on my own first. The cheapskate in me just won't let it happen lol

I decided to go with the design in the link I posted yesterday with a little make-shifting. I had all of the lumber, most of the hardware I needed, spent $6 on the bike & another $15 on additional hardware. I've got the frame together & now just need to figure out how to rig the wheels, do a little sanding & glue down some pipe insulation over the pieces that will touch the boat. Do you guys think I should bother painting or seal it?

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:55 pm

If you want the wood to last, I guess you might want to seal it or just buy some pretreated wood.

Gwendylyn
Petty Officer

Post by Gwendylyn » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:44 am

I've already got it put together so picking up new wood isn't in the cards this time around. I think you're right though about sealing it. I have about a 1/2 gallon of of deck sealer left over from the summer. Do you think that would work or would something different be better?

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:48 am

Gwendylyn wrote:I've already got it put together so picking up new wood isn't in the cards this time around. I think you're right though about sealing it. I have about a 1/2 gallon of of deck sealer left over from the summer. Do you think that would work or would something different be better?
Deck sealer would probably not be ideal, but might work for a while. I'd recommend applying multiple coats to make sure it's well sealed.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:46 am

If you're watching your costs, go with the sealer you have.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:23 am

If you are using it just for transport, not doing much in the way of submerging it in the water and have a dry place to store it in between uses then whatever sealer you have should be fine. I love making my own stuff, I wanna see pics!
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:36 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:If you are using it just for transport, not doing much in the way of submerging it in the water and have a dry place to store it in between uses then whatever sealer you have should be fine. I love making my own stuff, I wanna see pics!
I would agree with what Gringo posted, and add that the amount of time the lumber will be in the water is minimal. Therefore, not going to soak up much if any water. The contraption would weather worse if left outside for storage, than the dunking during a water launch.

Have you considered mounting the wheels on the top side, instead of the bottom? On the negative side, the boat is no longer upright for loading stuff into for reducing trips with misc. But on the positive, the wheels stay on during use, are out of the water drying out. Something to rest the pole against when fishing solo. If needing a hand grab for beaching or launching, or getting in and out of the boat.

I fabricated a double wheel on a axle, that slides through two drilled holes in a metal frame. The frame clamps onto the back (transom) of a 8ft pram. The boat is wheeled upside down to the water. Flipped upright in the water, so the wheels are upright out of the water. That contraption stay on the boat all the time. Even during outside storage. In my neighborhood, the garbage man knocks wheels off the garbage, recycle, or clean green containers almost every week. The ones not damaged are fabulous for this application. So much so, that I doubled up the larger 8" wheels. So there is two wheels sandwiched together on each axle. A dually set up....lol!

McGivering stuff, that is where it's at. Surprise yourself with what can be accomplished with recycled, or minimally purchased items.

I had considered using the wheels off a jogging stroller. But did not want to deal with a flat tire. So went to the wheels mentioned above.

Gwendylyn
Petty Officer

Post by Gwendylyn » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:17 pm

Moto- I had seen designs like that I liked them very much but decided I wasn't willing to give up the space in the boat. Especially if I'm going to take one of the dogs with me (by dogs I mean small humans at 90lbs & 115lbs).

I decided to just use the deck sealer I have on hand because the time it will be in the water is minimal. I am an idiot however... I got ahead of myself & zip tied the bumpers on before painting.... Will take them off over the weekend, paint & reinstall.

The last thing I need to figure out is some type of kickstand. Once the boat is strapped on there it's super easy to get around & just what I wanted. Getting the boat onto it is a different story. The hubby suggested trying to use a regular bike kickstand with a recoil spring so I won't get hung up when I'm on the move. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions that wouldn't require another trip to the hardware store? Gold star for the most creative idea lol

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:27 pm

Nice work. That looks like it'll do the job. [thumbup]

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:53 pm

Very nice job, I've been trying to figure out an idea like that for our duck retrieving jon boat. Want to make it so the boat is upright so we can haul all our gear out to the spot in the boat also. Love the car off to the side also.

Gwendylyn
Petty Officer

Post by Gwendylyn » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:46 pm

Thanks BR! I think once I get the "kickstand" figured out, it will be just about exactly what I was shooting for.

Rosann- Thanks! It's my hubby's other wife, 52 Plymouth Cranbrook [wink] On the dolly subject, this design was super simple to make & is really sturdy. Do it!