Boat leans with Kicker attached

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
Maverick186
Angler

Boat leans with Kicker attached

Post by Maverick186 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:11 am

Question for you guys.
I have a 2008 Weldcraft Maverick 186 with a Yamaha 150 on the back. Boat is 18' 6" long with an extended transom. I also run an 8hp Yamaha kicker on the Port side, which is mounted to a factor kicker bracket. When I have two guys and light gear, the boat tends to list to the Port side, (Kicker side). Once I get on plane I can trim it up so its manageable but it still drives me nuts.

The Yamaha T8 is manual start with no trim, so it doesn't weight that much. The boat also has a deep V, which may contribute to the problem. So I know I can put trim tabs on, but is there any other options? The fuel tank and batteries are mounted in the center of the boat. I just really don't care to put trim tabs on an 18' boat. Drilling holes in my new boat is painful J The listing drives me nuts when I have two guys, doesn’t seem to have a problem with one guy. Also I noticed another member has the same boat, Mav186, do you have this problem? I’m sure it just comes down to weight distribution, but I thought I would see what you guys think.

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

RE:Boat leans with Kicker attached

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:43 pm

i fish alone a LOT...1 of my old tubs lists bad with my old butt sit'n in the bk corner run'n the troll'r with no body to skootch bk 'n 4th to level her up....sooo be'n how i am thrifty (cheap) i grab'd a couple empty feed bags(the kind made out of woven plastic strands) and put a couple shovle fulls of 5/8 minus gravel in 'em....easy to move around and they sorta mold into the floor/rib where i set 'em and dont slide around....put'n 'em forward it brought the bow down a lil too !!!...if im use'n that boat 'n have a rider i just toss 'em in the bk of the truck and spend the whole day say'n "skootch over a lil will ya"....lolol....dont know if your rig has anywheres you could stow 'em outta the way ...works great for me ...DOG

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:08 pm

Have you friend sit on the right side of the boat somewhere and see what happens. leans left - more weight needed on the right. Oh, and what about the items in any locker in the boat? Any heavy stuff on the left that can be put on the right when a friend is aboard?
Last edited by Amx on Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:24 pm

Come on Mav..... Are you nuts???? Of course the boat lists with the kicker on one side. That's ninety to a hundred pounds of Sh... on one sid that isn't on the other. Every boat in the world with a kicker on one side lists to some degree. The question you should be asking is, "Has the flotation on the port side started to soak up water?".

Everyone I know that has a kicker on one side has a list. The smaller the boat the more noticable. They all straighten right up when you get on the main.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:39 pm

LORDY

Maverick186
Angler

Post by Maverick186 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:20 pm

I understand what causes the list. I know it was a stupid question. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something before I decide to put trim tabs on. My foam is not wet the boat is brand new. It sat at the dealer for two years before I bought it last year.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Maverick186 wrote:I understand what causes the list. I know it was a stupid question. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something before I decide to put trim tabs on. My foam is not wet the boat is brand new. It sat at the dealer for two years before I bought it last year.
The reason I asked is some manufactures put like a garbage bag in the dead space and fill with foam. Some don't even take time to use a bag. It takes virtualy no time at all for the foam to get water logged. I know when I'm running the kicker the boat dips a bit to that side and if I had foam it would put it below the waterline so any water in the bilge would go right there. Even rain can soggy it up. I've seen Alumawelds gain 500 pounds in a year. They spray the foam to pass a requirement for the sale. After that........

On the other hand would you be looking for an excuse to put on trim tabs? Do it anyways! Trim tabs are great, improve the ride, improve the GPH and it's another toy to play with when on the boat. The most important being the last one. =)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:53 pm

If you go with the hefty bag and the foam, be sure and use "Closed cell" foam. It does not allow for water to be absorbed. Either way though the trash bag is the best bet, I think. That way if you ever want to be rid of the foam,just lift the bag out.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:12 am

Maverick186 wrote:Question for you guys.
I have a 2008 Weldcraft Maverick 186 with a Yamaha 150 on the back. Boat is 18' 6" long with an extended transom. I also run an 8hp Yamaha kicker on the Port side, which is mounted to a factor kicker bracket. When I have two guys and light gear, the boat tends to list to the Port side, (Kicker side). Once I get on plane I can trim it up so its manageable but it still drives me nuts.

The Yamaha T8 is manual start with no trim, so it doesn't weight that much. The boat also has a deep V, which may contribute to the problem. So I know I can put trim tabs on, but is there any other options? The fuel tank and batteries are mounted in the center of the boat. I just really don't care to put trim tabs on an 18' boat. Drilling holes in my new boat is painful J The listing drives me nuts when I have two guys, doesn’t seem to have a problem with one guy. Also I noticed another member has the same boat, Mav186, do you have this problem? I’m sure it just comes down to weight distribution, but I thought I would see what you guys think.
Hi Mav and welcome to the forum. I just returned from a trip and read your post. My boat is a 2009 with the O/S bracket too. I do not know if or what any differences would be to cause your listing to the point that it's bothersome to you. A little is understandable, but it certainly should not be 'driving you nuts' on a boat of this size. I purchased mine from Dan at Valley Marine, and I do know they will spend time to balance a boat out, depending on the option package etc. I remember Dan and I discussing this topic while the vessel was in fabrication. The one thing I remember him saying was that they work with RMG on all the the boats they order from them in an effort to tune and balance the total package as best as possible. One of the examples I can think of, is Dan likes to have the kicker transom moved closer to the main engine, by several inches inboard, to the centerline. It does not sound like much, but can make a big difference to the total balance and performance of the vessel on plane or at rest. It's the little things that will kill you...or at least drive you nuts! You may want to give Dan a call and see if he has any suggestions before drilling...It's a wonderful boat and feel free to PM with any specific questions youy may have!:batman:

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:36 am

I have my boat's gear(batteries, extra downrigger weights, tackle, etc) loaded so that when I'm running alone, there is almost no list to speak of. The problems start when you add people. Without trim tabs all you can do is try and move stuff/people around until you are balanced. I've had the pleasure of fishing out of MAV186's boat and if yours is anything like it, you have a sweet setup.

Maverick186
Angler

Post by Maverick186 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:41 am

Thanks for the reply Mav. It does concern me when I spend this kind of money I would expect the boat to be balanced. Moving the kicker bracket a couple inches would solve the issue. I setup the boat myself as far as, kicker, downriggers, and gear. It just surprises me a boat of this size would list as much as it does when I’m running the main. When I
‘m alone, it rides great. It’s when I have two guys and the second guy wants to sit in the Port side chair, that I get the list. I have spent a lot of time on similar size boats and never really noticed this problem. It seems like an engineering issue, as the bracket should have been welded closer to the Main motor. Also this is only an issue when I’m running the main motor. When I’m trolling and sitting on that side of the boat I expect it to list. Some experienced guys I have spoken with said, I should not need trim tabs on an 18’ boat. Based on Mav's reply it sounds like the kicker bracket should have been moved over. If a specific dealer is having there boats ordered that way you would think Weldcraft would take note. I bought my boat at Siglers Marine.

Otherwise I absolutely love the boat and have nothing bad to say about it. This is really the first issue I have found. Last summer I did not have a kicker on the boat and did not have this problem. It may not seem like an issue to some, but I expect a lot from a boat it this price range. I have seen guys running 15 hp kickers with all the options and not have this kind of list with two guys on the boat.

Mav. sorry for taking your user name, didn't check before I signed up.
Last edited by Maverick186 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:48 pm

Pick up some plastic coated bar bell weights and some long commercial zip ties. Stack the amount of weights you need that would equal the total weight of the kicker and zip tie them together. Position them in the boat to where the boat balances out.

capnhook
Angler

Post by capnhook » Tue May 03, 2011 2:59 am

Maverick, the fact that the kicker motor is hanging all the way aft on an outboard extension bracket makes a huge difference. If you didn't have that bracket and the trolling motor was mounted straight to the transom you wouldn't notice it nearly as much. Not suggesting you change that at all! You will just need to figure out a way to ballast against that weight. Checking the existing flotation foam is a great idea but I think you will find that its bone dry. If you have a wash-down pump on board you could try filling some sort of a stowable ballast bag for use when needed. If your bilges are clean, you could just drain it into the bilge and pump it overboard when not needed. Trim tabs are most definitely the best way to go when running at higher speeds. For cred', I am an ex ship captain and have owned 9 boats of various sizes over the years. Not boasting but I do know a little about stability and trim! Hope you find a solution! My little Lund lists pretty bad too! But thats because there is a big fat guy in the back, ME.

Maverick186
Angler

Post by Maverick186 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:42 am

Thanks for the great info capn. I may install trim tabs at some point, I don't have any experence with them. Are there other benifits to running trim tabs?

For now I will just shift people around when I have the kicker on. I take it off if I'm not going to be using it. Better fuel economy that way.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue May 03, 2011 11:30 am

Maverick186 wrote:Thanks for the great info capn. I may install trim tabs at some point, I don't have any experence with them. Are there other benifits to running trim tabs?

For now I will just shift people around when I have the kicker on. I take it off if I'm not going to be using it. Better fuel economy that way.
I always take my kicker no matter what. Any boat big enough to use a real motor and a kicker is a boat I want to have no part in rowing.

Just my thing you may like to.

capnhook
Angler

Post by capnhook » Tue May 03, 2011 4:07 pm

Maverick, yes, there are other benefits to trim tabs. One is that in choppy water you can bring the bow down and drastically improve the ride. The other is that once installed you can "fine tune" your speed for maximum fuel efficiency. My last boat before the Lund was a 25'Searay. Fully loaded, I could bring the boat on plane and then watch the GPS for an increase in speed without touching the throttles, only the trim tabs. I know some of the replies you got said trim tabs weren't really necessary on an 18' boat. Personally I disagree only because of the hull area that is in the water at speed. Less wet surface equals less stability. Your boat can really benefit from the leverage the trim tabs will supply. They won't cure your low speed/troll issues but the other benefits will surely put a smile on your face! You should see if your dealer has a boat set up with tabs and have him take you for a ride. Tabs are spendy (may take your price of fish per pound over the $150.00 mark) private joke between me and my wife! Good luck and hope this helps.