regulations on no internal combustion lakes

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
reigndawgs
Commander

regulations on no internal combustion lakes

Post by reigndawgs » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:15 pm

On a lake that has rules against internal combustion engines, is it okay to have you outboard mounted as long as you don't use it? Or do you have to take the motor completely off the boat to comply with the rule?

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:regulations on no internal combustion lakes

Post by Rich McVey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:12 am

"Internal Combustion Motors Prohibited Means, fishing from a floating device equipped
with an internal combustion motor, is not allowed."

Can not have it mounted.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00957/wdfw00957.pdf

Page 18 of the regs.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:42 am

And equipped with a motor is further defined on the same page:
Equipped with a motor: A motor is attached to the floating device, regardless of whether the motor is in the water.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

ICSpots
Petty Officer

Post by ICSpots » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:55 pm

FYI - At least in the Seattle area, you will encounter two different groups of lakes that have internal combustion restrictions. The 1st group of lakes fall under the WA state restriction as identified by Rich above. The 2nd group of lakes fall under a King County restriction which differs from the WA state restriction. I don't have the King County regulation handy but I know Lake Dolloff in Federal Way has a sign at the launch which identifies the specific information. My understanding of the King County regulation is that you can't operate an internal combustion engine.

The bottom line is that it depends on which lake(s) you are talking about.

Tim
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:23 pm

Thanks guys, I thought that was the case but wanted to make sure. I am finally going to get a boat and wanted to make an informed decision. It seems like there is no good way to have one boat that can fish bigger and smaller lakes.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:12 pm

ICSpots wrote:FYI - At least in the Seattle area, you will encounter two different groups of lakes that have internal combustion restrictions. The 1st group of lakes fall under the WA state restriction as identified by Rich above. The 2nd group of lakes fall under a King County restriction which differs from the WA state restriction. I don't have the King County regulation handy but I know Lake Dolloff in Federal Way has a sign at the launch which identifies the specific information. My understanding of the King County regulation is that you can't operate an internal combustion engine.

Tim
wow, I've not heard of this second King cnty restriction. That makes no sense if it contradicts the state regulation. No wonder people get confused.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:11 am

Mike Carey wrote:
ICSpots wrote:FYI - At least in the Seattle area, you will encounter two different groups of lakes that have internal combustion restrictions. The 1st group of lakes fall under the WA state restriction as identified by Rich above. The 2nd group of lakes fall under a King County restriction which differs from the WA state restriction. I don't have the King County regulation handy but I know Lake Dolloff in Federal Way has a sign at the launch which identifies the specific information. My understanding of the King County regulation is that you can't operate an internal combustion engine.

Tim
wow, I've not heard of this second King cnty restriction. That makes no sense if it contradicts the state regulation. No wonder people get confused.
I suspect it's pretty close to the same as the Snohomish Co. regs that are interpeted by the Sheriff and WDFW as no vessels with internal combustion engines. Just like the state has. If it has a motor, it's not going in the lake.

No to be confused with the Snohomish Co. lakes that have no restrictions yet the residents have aquired signs from other lakes and put them up in an attempt to make private lakes.....
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:39 am

Tim

YUP. Heres the link to the regs:

12.44.790 Lake Dolloff restrictions. It is unlawful to use or operate any internal combustion engine on Lake Dolloff, legally defined as all the water of Lake Dolloff located within Section 10, Township 21 North, Range 4 East, W.M., in King County, Washington]
King County Boating regulations[/url]

Check out the "King County Code Section 12.44" document and search for the lake.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:43 am

As expected..... :) A friend and I pulled into one of the little lakes in the Kent Auburn area to chat with a bud that was tubing and we barely got out of the truck when a Sheriff came out of no where and started in on us. He laughed and appologized after we told him we had just stopped to wag a jaw...........
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:22 am

How big a deal is it to pull an outboard off a boat. I'm sure an outrigger set up is easy, but what about one with console steering? Do you guys just have multiple boats to fish different size lakes? If so, how the hell do you convince your wives to buy them and would you be willing to come over to my house and convince my wife on the value of boat ownership?:-({|=

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:40 am

We bank fish those lakes.

A 115 is a bit to big to just yank off the boat and its a bit to heavy to row at that#-o .

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:43 am

reigndawgs wrote:How big a deal is it to pull an outboard off a boat. I'm sure an outrigger set up is easy, but what about one with console steering? Do you guys just have multiple boats to fish different size lakes? If so, how the hell do you convince your wives to buy them and would you be willing to come over to my house and convince my wife on the value of boat ownership?:-({|=
Pulling anything bigger than a 10 HP off a boat sounds like a big drag. And as I get older pulling an 8 hp isn't much fun, either.

Multiple boats, just like fishing rods. "Gotta have em honey"! It all depends on one's circumstances as to what you as a family can afford. At the time we could afford it and my wife is pretty amazing so she just said go for it.

A good choice for those smaller lakes is a single person pontoon boat. At $300 give or take it gets you on the water safely and is affordable. Plus, for a lake under 100 acres I think it's the perfect vessel to fish out of. IMO.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:43 am

Rich McVey wrote:We bank fish those lakes.

A 115 is a bit to big to just yank off the boat and its a bit to heavy to row at that#-o .
What about a 30-40HP on a 14-16' aluminum boat?

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:08 pm

reigndawgs wrote:
Rich McVey wrote:We bank fish those lakes.

What about a 30-40HP on a 14-16' aluminum boat?
If your young, dumb, and have the right equipment, then sure. I was like that once. I'd take my 25 horse off a couple times a year.

Now I am old, smarter (a little) and don't have the right equipment, so NO WAY.

Mike is dead on correct in this respect.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:10 pm

Your boat should be rowable and an electric motor would do the trick for sure.

Whats the weight of your motor?

Do you have an engine hoist and or an engine stand to put/leave it on while you have it off the boat?

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:37 pm

On those lakes where you have a motor restriction, I use either my pontoon boat or I borrow my father's 8' Sorenson. You should be able to pick up a boat you can throw on the roof of your car or in the bed of your truck, that's in decent shape, for under $500.

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:13 pm

Thanks guys, that is what I needed to know. I don't have the boat or motor yet, I needed your council as I am about to finally have the money. First real boat at the age of 41, but better late than never I guess. I have a small car topper that I built that I will probably keep for small lakes or maybe sell it and get a pontoon boat. For this year I am thinking I will focus on fishing and taking the kids for rides. I'll leave the wakeboarding, etc. for my next huge investment and focus on a good fishing boat. I won't start yet another thread on what kind of boat to buy here (unless you guys are that bored and want to repeat yourselves) as there are several good ones already on the site including the one I started last year when I was only hoping to have the money. For the record I am thinking an aluminum boat 14-18', hopefully with a console although a nice tiller set up I would consider but I hate having to hold the darn tiller all day.

ICSpots
Petty Officer

Post by ICSpots » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:21 am

Mike Carey wrote:
Mike - Just to clarify, the state and King county regulations do not contradict each other. I haven't run the King county regulation trapline on all of the lakes but based on what I remember the lakes listed in the King county regulations are not the same lakes identified in the state regulations.

Rich - Thank you for locating the Lake Dolloff regulations.

Bottom line is that the state restricts you from having an internal combustion engine installed on your boat on certain lakes while King County restricts you from operating an internal combustion engine on certain lakes. Two different sets of regulations (which have different restrictions) that cover two different groups of lakes.

Are we having fun yet?

Tim
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:48 am

ICSpots wrote:
Mike Carey wrote:
Mike - Just to clarify, the state and King county regulations do not contradict each other. I haven't run the King county regulation trapline on all of the lakes but based on what I remember the lakes listed in the King county regulations are not the same lakes identified in the state regulations.

Rich - Thank you for locating the Lake Dolloff regulations.

Bottom line is that the state restricts you from having an internal combustion engine installed on your boat on certain lakes while King County restricts you from operating an internal combustion engine on certain lakes. Two different sets of regulations (which have different restrictions) that cover two different groups of lakes.

Are we having fun yet?

Tim
that sounds about right for washington.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.