No Gas Motor Allowed Lakes

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

No Gas Motor Allowed Lakes

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:32 am

So when I was at Rattlesnake lake on opening day there was one boat (there usually is) that had a gas motor on his boat. Of course he gt called out on it. To my surprise a float tube guy with his two kids defended the gas guy and was positive we were wrong and he was right, that it was OK if te motor was in the "up" position. Rubbish. Here's the response I got from King county DNRP:

Hi Mike,

Technically, you should remove the internal combustion engine from your boat in order to fully comply with the ordinance and it’s also a good idea because gas and/or oil can drip from it into the water when it is in the ‘up’ position.

We have found that in practice people are rarely reported for leaving the motor on the boat but not using it, as the noise, wave action, and various safety concerns are the issues that concern most small lake users and residents. However, there are no guarantees and you could potentially be cited.

Regards,

Sally

Sally Bartley Abella

Science and Technical Support

Water and Land Resources Division

King County DNRP

201 S. Jackson St, Ste 600

Seattle, WA 98104-3855

phone: 206-296-8382

FAX: 206-296-0192
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Hal
Warrant Officer

RE:No Gas Motor Allowed Lakes

Post by Hal » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:34 am

Was he USING the motor?
I am the mayor of ball cap land BOW to me ...

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:39 am

No, what he is saying is it does not matter... Leave it at home or don't use the boat.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:50 am

Use of the motor=gas is not the written law and means nothing!:-$ :-#

If there is a gas motor on your rear transom your breaking the law:-$ with or with out a electric trolling motor or oars!
In these protected , selective waters:cheers: STARTING IT AND USING IT MEANS NOTHING!:bounce:

I will keep it simple if the lake is zero motors gas made and there hooked to your Tub Your Done:-$ with or without use :-$ if its started or not the reason behind this is gas, oil and all the goodies these bring may and can leach out into the waters we are protected and are selective fisheries and all are spelled out in Clear ENGLISH!:cheers:

Electric trolling motors only and that means zero combustion motors to protect these selective fisheries and I back these laws 200 percent most and many tubs leak and many things and most guys do not even care or understand the care of the hull each and every trip in the spread of milfoil from lake to lake!#-o :cyclopsan

Cupcakes and tools must be protected they are clueless on the damage many of these games bring, spread and do to protected resources and systems.

I loved about 6 years ago a guy backed a monster Ranger 200 plus HP then got right on his bow mount trolling motor in (((Lake Lenore)))) the Pony Riders came and fast =d> :thumright :thumleft: and that was a fast pull and fine for being a moron!](*,)

Tight Lines fish on and yes we warned him he gave us the birdy8-[ I gave him the truth he lost! =d>
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

2000subaru
Commander

Post by 2000subaru » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:54 am

Usually see a guy on Lake Bonney (Internal Combustion Not Allowed) every year after the lowland lake opener cruising his 17' Lund with the motor up. He has been told that he is in the wrong, but doesn't care.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:58 am

INTERNAL COMBUSTION MOTORS
PROHIBITED
Means ?shing from a ?oating device equipped
with an internal combustion motor is not
allowed.

Page 29 of the current Washington State Fishing regulations

SELECTIVE GEAR RULES
Only unscented arti?cial ?ies or lures with
one single-point, barbless hook are allowed.
Up to a total of three arti?cial ?ies or lures
containing single-point, barbless hooks
may be used. Bait is prohibited; ?sh may be
released until the daily limit is retained. Only
knotless nets may be used to land ?sh.
No one may ?sh from any ?oating device
equipped with an internal combustion motor,
except where speci?cally allowed under
Special Rules for individual waters. If any ?sh
has swallowed the hook or is hooked in the
gill, eye, or tongue, it should be kept if legal to
do so.

Page 30 of the current Washington State Fishing regulations

As Rattlesnake lake is a selective gear fishery there may be a loophole! Was he just out for a boat ride? It is not listed as a lake with an internal combustion motor restriction. If the guy was fishing, he was in the wrong, so next time get a picture of him in action and phone up the local fuzz. If you are reporting a violation sometimes you need to make a few calls before you get an interested party on the other end of the line. I'm sure you've heard the response, "not my jurisdiction". With the decrease in WDFW enforcement officers try and get hold of the county's authorities in which the body of water resides. They will have jurisdiction and should be itchin' to write a ticket to fill the county's coffers.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:49 pm

Thank you for the additional verification.

They were fishing until they got booed off the lake. I believe the "no gas motors" sign is at the boat launch. As stated, it matters not whether the motor is running, in, or out of the water.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:52 pm

What about on lakes where there is a Horse Power limit, but not a combustion motor ban? Like Cassidy? Could you fish with your motor in the up position then?
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:53 pm

Drewp wrote:What about on lakes where there is a Horse Power limit, but not a combustion motor ban? Like Cassidy? Could you fish with your motor in the up position then?
In theory, yes, but check with the local county mounties first. That rule is usually a local rule, not a state rule, like the aforementioned rule is.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:04 pm

One should always read and follow the rules carefully, but don't be too quick to point fingers.

In may states, if you raise the gas motor from the water, it is legal to just use your electric motor. In some states, if you raise the gas motor, and bag the motor, you are now legal.

IN WASHINGTON, YOU CANNOT HAVE THE GAS MOTOR ATTACHED.

Still, if the fishermen is a transplant to Washington, like I am, it is often hard to remember each and every rule as it changes from state to state. Give the guy a reminder, let him know why the gas motor is prohibited, and then, if he does not comply, maybe a call to the local county Mounty is the best option.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Post by Joe Heater » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:26 pm

Are we all so perfect that we start crying to WDFW even when the most ridiculous rules were broken? Personally I think that rule is one of many rules that are just overkill. Didn't sound like he wast hurting anybody or dumping gallons of oil in that lake. If the guy is taking more than his limit than call him out. If he is dumping garbage on the bank, call them out. But it sounds like this guy was just out fishing minding his own business, put his motor up but that wasn't good enough for those perfect people that never met a rule they didn't like.

I sure hope you drove the speed limit that day. I hate to think of the whistle blower as a HYPOCRITE!!!!!!!!!
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

trout slayer
Petty Officer

Post by trout slayer » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:02 pm

Joe Heater wrote:Are we all so perfect that we start crying to WDFW even when the most ridiculous rules were broken? Personally I think that rule is one of many rules that are just overkill. Didn't sound like he wast hurting anybody or dumping gallons of oil in that lake. If the guy is taking more than his limit than call him out. If he is dumping garbage on the bank, call them out. But it sounds like this guy was just out fishing minding his own business, put his motor up but that wasn't good enough for those perfect people that never met a rule they didn't like.

I sure hope you drove the speed limit that day. I hate to think of the whistle blower as a HYPOCRITE!!!!!!!!!
+1!!!!!!!!
10% of fisherman catch 90% of the fish

Hal
Warrant Officer

Post by Hal » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:56 pm

+2 :cheers:
I am the mayor of ball cap land BOW to me ...

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:05 pm

Wow, that's a toughie. I've seen this a lot on Beaver lake. Especially when they dropped the trips in there last fall. I even saw a 16" Bayliner with a 75hp OB. Of course they were not using it and it was tipped up, but never thought that it was illegal. They sure looked ridiculous though :-& . Figured that if they were not using it, then technically it was ok as per my interpretation of the regs. I'll occasionally see smaller OBs out there on small boats, but they're using their electrics to move around. I guess I feel that if they're not using them, then they're not hurting anything. However, I can also see the "avoid the accidental discharge of gas/oil" on these small lakes. I'm not opposed to specifically listing in the regs that you cannot have the motor on the lake period, even if not in use. Then I might be a little more prone to faulting them. Until then, it seems a little vague. Of course if I were to call everyone out on all the broken fishing rules I see, then it'd be a full time job. Seems like I see someone fishing with two poles/lines in the water every time I go out. [-x
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Post by Joe Heater » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:19 pm

Thats another rule I have never understood. You can only fish with 1 pole. I only fish with 1 but why not 2. What does that possibly hurt? It's a ridiculous rule that will be no more starting next year. It's about time as well. It was a ridiculous rule that served no purpose.

As for the rule in question. Booing someone off of a lake is absolutely pathetic. Why don't you all go out join a cult or something. It's fishing. It doesn't have to be so dramatic.
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:26 pm

Joe Heater wrote:Thats another rule I have never understood. You can only fish with 1 pole. I only fish with 1 but why not 2. What does that possibly hurt? It's a ridiculous rule that will be no more starting next year. It's about time as well. It was a ridiculous rule that served no purpose.

....um, then why not just let people fish with dynamite too? There has to be some regulation. I don't like them all either, but they're made for a reason. Too much un-restricted fishing = no fish to go fishing for.

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:11 pm

Joe Heater wrote:Thats another rule I have never understood. You can only fish with 1 pole. I only fish with 1 but why not 2. What does that possibly hurt? It's a ridiculous rule that will be no more starting next year. It's about time as well. It was a ridiculous rule that served no purpose.

As for the rule in question. Booing someone off of a lake is absolutely pathetic. Why don't you all go out join a cult or something. It's fishing. It doesn't have to be so dramatic.
Maybe they dont want oil in the lake? I can see the 1 pole, you got a fish on Pole A reeling it in, the you get one on Pole B.....you cant reel em both in at the same time. Plus I could also see someone up to 1 fish away from their limit and using two poles and bait fishing....since use of bait means a "catch" whether released or not.....could be easy to go over the limit.
Snakes dont have any arms that's why they dont wear vests - Stephen Wright

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:13 pm

BentRod wrote:....um, then why not just let people fish with dynamite too? There has to be some regulation. I don't like them all either, but they're made for a reason. Too much un-restricted fishing = no fish to go fishing for.
esp with em closing hatcheries
Snakes dont have any arms that's why they dont wear vests - Stephen Wright

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:27 pm

Joe Heater wrote:Are we all so perfect that we start crying to WDFW even when the most ridiculous rules were broken? Personally I think that rule is one of many rules that are just overkill. Didn't sound like he wast hurting anybody or dumping gallons of oil in that lake. If the guy is taking more than his limit than call him out. If he is dumping garbage on the bank, call them out. But it sounds like this guy was just out fishing minding his own business, put his motor up but that wasn't good enough for those perfect people that never met a rule they didn't like.

Yes, I'm perfect. :^o

OK, now that we have that out of the way...

The no motor rule is there in part to preserve the water quality. I would hardly call that a ridiculous rule. But if you think it is, then by all means lets have a few dozen motor boats on Rattlesnake with their motors dripping oil and gas residue, and while we are at it, let's allow motors on every other pristine piece of water. Because it's a ridiculous rule. And ridiculous rules should be ignored. Rather than repealed. Because repealing would take EFFORT. And it's much easier to just break a rule and call it ridiculous.

While we are at it, let's use power bait on Rattlesnake. Because it's a ridiculous rule. And why follow a ridiculous rule? And I might as well drive over the speed limit. Because it's ridiculous rule. And I guess, if it's a ridiculous rule then its OK to break it. Because I MUST know more than the people that went through the process of establishing the rule.

As to booing someone of the lake - there's nothing like peer pressure to make someone wake up and smell the coffee. It's a lot better than keeping your mouth shut and putting up with bores that think ridiculous rules only apply to the other person.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:32 pm

Finally Mikie:-$ fastball right down the plate 97 mph with movement!:cheers: His pole hangs a flag and lights his rod is clear :cyclopsan :compress: :shaking: :-k :scratch:

Just don't let me watch that diamond back Video the Creatine is one day UPS!#-o :colors: