Need a small lake near Seattle that allows gas motors.

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Need a small lake near Seattle that allows gas motors.

Post by The Quadfather » Mon May 19, 2008 7:40 pm

Hey guys... I need a recommendation for a lake that would be within like an hour of Seattle, maybe a little further, which would allow internal combustion engines.
My wife actually came to me,, to suggest we take the kids fishing next weekend. She likes the little urban lakes like Ballinger, Echo, etc. but now I have my gas motor bolted on the boat, and it's too much trouble to take off to get into these lakes. She won't do Washington or Samammish, "Too Choppy" see says, LOL.

Need somewhere that has even just good planters still available for the kids.
(but of course bass and hold over trout is always nice too!)

Thanks
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Derrick-k
Commander

RE:Need a small lake near Seattle that allows gas motors.

Post by Derrick-k » Mon May 19, 2008 7:55 pm

Lake merridian, its a 45 min drive for you but it does allow gas motors.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Mon May 19, 2008 8:13 pm

Derrick-k wrote:Lake merridian, its a 45 min drive for you but it does allow gas motors.

American as well. Tons of fish in that lake. KTK
Get with the Fast Money Bros

trackster13
Petty Officer

Post by trackster13 » Tue May 20, 2008 11:26 am

American would be ideal...was there on sunday and released around 20+ fish (mostly stockers) from 7am-noon. only thing is that it was really crowded over the weekend and the boat launch was a zoo but once you're on the water its alright.

Bruce Nelson
Petty Officer

Post by Bruce Nelson » Tue May 20, 2008 5:10 pm

Sawyer by Black Diamond has a good launch. There's rainbows, kokanee, bass and panfish in it.

Bruce Nelson

produce2troutcat
Petty Officer

Post by produce2troutcat » Tue May 20, 2008 6:20 pm

Sawyer is a good one till the water skiers get out then it becomes dangerous.I think Wilderness near Maple Valley allows gas motors.

Rob G.
Warrant Officer

Post by Rob G. » Tue May 20, 2008 6:32 pm

No gas motors on Wilderness, I'd go north if I were you. Try McMurray it's in Mt. Vernon, beautiful lake, tons of fish! Sawyer is hit and miss, and the water skiers are idiots, Meridian is more of the same. McMurray allows gas motors, but it's a no wake lake! That means no recreational water craft, just good fishing!

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue May 20, 2008 6:38 pm

Just curious, but Quad, you bolted down that gas Merc down solid to the transom??? Did you do something else other then just clamp it on? Or is that thing too heavy and a pain to take on/off?
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue May 20, 2008 8:36 pm

Kafelafish,

Yes, I did bolt it down, which means of course that marine sealant goo around the bolts etc. Maybe that seems like over kill, but the dealer recommended it saying that with a 175 lb motor 25 hp, on the boat, if I got on it hard on a sharp turn or something that it would be better to be bolted down. It actually is set up to have 4 seperate bolts, but I only did the upper two. ( I don't know... maybe that didn't really need to be, but now it is too much of a pain to take off the 175lb motor and then re-seal the bolts with goo)

I appreciate the lake suggestions folks, I think that I am going to try Lake Goodwin and the Wenburg state park near Stanwood/Everett. (not me in the photo)
Attachments
Lake_Goodwin.jpg
Lake_Goodwin.jpg (92.44 KiB) Viewed 3577 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue May 20, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Tue May 20, 2008 9:55 pm

quadradomus wrote:
I think that I am going to try Lake Goodwin and the Wenburg state park near Stanwood/Everett.

Why don't you hit up Lake Washington during the weekday when it's calm? The fishing is on fire and your boat would be great! Heck, you fished it in my boat so you'd be a solid go in yours. I know about the wife saying "no, no" but seriously, give her a good back rub and maybe she'll let you hit up the big lake?! :-$ You need to get that 25 horses workin in your favor on the big lake soon.:-" These darn trout aren't waitin around you know...good luck Chris...:cheers:

KTK
Get with the Fast Money Bros