Bonnie Lake Spokane County

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
cornbok
Petty Officer

Bonnie Lake Spokane County

Post by cornbok » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:50 pm

Does anyone out there know if Bonnie lake in Spokane County freezes in the winter?? Also, I'm not sure when, or if it closes. I've caught some of the biggest Crappie, and perch there I've ever seen. If it's not closed for the winter, and has ice, that would be an AWESOME place to ice fish.

YellowBear
Captain

RE:Bonnie Lake Spokane County

Post by YellowBear » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:38 am

Bonnie is open year round and it will ice up.
The fishing is pretty good but if you catch a bunch, its a long walk out.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:51 pm

Take a boat, its an easy paddle/row/motor up the creek there from the bridge.

Rock isnt iced at all right now, but Id suspect the marshland at the lower end of Bonnie might just have a little ice in the way.

Never fished it, but kayaked it a few times, beautiful lake.

E

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:49 pm

i don't know, that "creek" gets pretty drawn down in the late fall, so I'm not sure what condition it would be in right now.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:25 pm

I was talking with a friend of mine some time ago and he told me that there was a beaver dam in the creek.
He told me they had to haul out and go around it. Sounds like the creek has silted in some. In 81 and 82 I used to launch a 16 foot Ranger at the bridge and was able to idle all the way up to the lake.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Good luck and be safe

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:17 pm

YellowBear wrote:I was talking with a friend of mine some time ago and he told me that there was a beaver dam in the creek.
He told me they had to haul out and go around it. Sounds like the creek has silted in some. In 81 and 82 I used to launch a 16 foot Ranger at the bridge and was able to idle all the way up to the lake.
I have heard the stories about a beaver dam, and about silt, but I sure wish a recent attempt could be documented to find out for sure. I can't believe silt would be an issue because most silt would drop out in the lake and not exit into the creek.

Beaver dam? Possible.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:24 pm

I was up there last summer.

There IS a beaver dam, but its the full length of the marsh, not just the stream. You can go over the left side of it as you are moving upriver without too much fuss. If you are in a boat with a prop you can either pole across it, or just cut through it as I believe its all straw on that side. Other options are to take your anchor and wing it out as far as you can, then pull the outdrive up and pull yourself across the dam with the rope. The area off to the side is just a pile, the actual dwelling is going to be on your right, where the beaver actually live.

E

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:49 pm

There is a road on the other end if you can find out who owns it.
We used to camp out on the Island when I was a kid but the last time we where there, some folks had trashed it bad. Bonnie is one of those places that holds some nice fish.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Good luck and be safe

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:27 pm

Gisteppo wrote:I was up there last summer.

There IS a beaver dam, but its the full length of the marsh, not just the stream. You can go over the left side of it as you are moving upriver without too much fuss. If you are in a boat with a prop you can either pole across it, or just cut through it as I believe its all straw on that side. Other options are to take your anchor and wing it out as far as you can, then pull the outdrive up and pull yourself across the dam with the rope. The area off to the side is just a pile, the actual dwelling is going to be on your right, where the beaver actually live.

E
How big of a boat do you think you could get up there?

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:06 am

I too was up there last year. The beaver dam is a non issue, so many people go over that part of it that it's usually either half built or mostly gone. you can use an oar to get over it pretty easily. I've launched a 14 foot jon boat there several times. just be aware, a 4WD vehicle is absolutely necessary unless you plan on carrying your boat down to the water from the bridge. The "launch" is a very steep and rocky bank/cliff, and if there is any ice or snow at all on it i would strongly recommend against trying to get down it with a vehicle. motor usage in the creek depends on the water level. In the spring we were able to use a 25 horse outboard the entire way up the creek with no issues. In late fall, we were reduced to an electric trolling motor most of the way with several sudden stops due to rocks. Watch for pink ribbons tied to the reeds on the bank. They might be gone by now, but someone put them in every spot where there is a big rock in the creek. It's about a mile or so to the lake. Also remember to head North from the bridge once you're in the creek. I went the other way on accident the first time i was there, trust me you don't want to go that way.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:44 pm

Archer, Im planning on taking the sled up there this spring (16' Hewescraft river runner), so Ill try to let ya know how it goes. Im a little concerned about the traction issue getting out in the gravel, but its a light boat, so hopefully it works out.

E

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:40 pm

Gisteppo wrote:Archer, Im planning on taking the sled up there this spring (16' Hewescraft river runner), so Ill try to let ya know how it goes. Im a little concerned about the traction issue getting out in the gravel, but its a light boat, so hopefully it works out.

E
Perhaps a joint trip. My 4x4 truck should drag your sled out of the gravel launch, you sled should get us into the lake.

Just a thought.:bounce:

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:17 pm

let me know when you wanna go. Weekdays are best for me, but I can always work out a weekend as well.

E

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:26 pm

If you manage to get a 16 foot boat up there, it could very well be one of the biggest boats ever in Bonnie Lake. That said, I think you can do it so long as you go in the spring when the creek is up, especially with all this snow we've been getting, that thing should be raging. Obviously the hairpin turns in the creek will be a pain, but definitely doable. Maybe I'll see you out there; we always try to make at least one trip up there in the spring.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:32 pm

Nik wrote:If you manage to get a 16 foot boat up there, it could very well be one of the biggest boats ever in Bonnie Lake.
I've been on Bonnie in a 16' aluminum bass boat, was 4 or 5 years ago. When I still had my 14' Hewescraft we were up there frequently with no probelms, but that was at least 2 1/2 yeara ago. I don't think it would be too difficult for a 16' sled to make the trip as long as it was early in the season when the water is running higher. Later in the year would be tough for sure.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount