Lake for fishing/waterplay with year and a half old baby

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
odddoylerules
Petty Officer

Lake for fishing/waterplay with year and a half old baby

Post by odddoylerules » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:01 am

Looking to do some shore fishing and playing in the water with the family Monday. Was thinking of hiking to an Alpine lake but most are 5+ miles in. Any south sound area ideas? If it's an hour or so from Tacoma and has a nice place to picnic and play that'd be perfect but I'll drive a little further if needed for a good spot to spend the day.

Fine targeting bass n bluegill, or trout but it's getting a bit warm and Monday should be in the 80s.

Docks are cool but not necessary

Wdfw boat launches that don't get much traffic would be fine too if there's fishable shore nearby, and most launches hold fish anyway

Ok guys, I'm all ears. Whaddaya say?

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Lake for fishing/waterplay with year and a half old baby

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:43 am

Lake Tapps has a nice park and beaches and plenty of shore line to fish from and a nice launch with nice docks and nice bathrooms.

Thats the nicest one I can think of within an hour of Tacoma, but there are several others - American, Spencer, Long Lake and Kitsap Lake and a bit further is Wildcat Lake.

odddoylerules
Petty Officer

Post by odddoylerules » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:52 am

What about rapjohn, I've talked to ppl that fish it and it seems quiet and the boat launch is big. Looks undeveloped around the lake and the launch is on a game access road.

Sounds like more shore to explore than just the launch, forums say the west side shore has fish but I just wondered if anyone has been out there and can verify whether or not there is good access

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:25 am

Never been there but the satellite views dont show any beach type shore line. It all looks over grown to me.

gaSSer41
Petty Officer

Post by gaSSer41 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:52 pm

I would not try Kitsap. It is real weedy at the public park of the docks. You have a lot of boat & jet ski noise from the launch. The weeds keep getting taller each week. The fisherman's boat ramp on the side of the public park is all so very shallow. It is a pretty tough lake to fish. Either the bite is good or not! It does hold some pretty nice fish in the lake though.
Butch Duke

Scheindogg
Warrant Officer

Post by Scheindogg » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:48 pm

Luther Burbank park on Mercer isalnd has a terrific park area for kids. A beach . And a fishing pier. Next to the fishing pier is also some shore area! The fishing pier goes down to easily 40ft deep water on the end. I saw a guy catching small sunfish at the very shallow part, and have also heard of ppl catching Cutts from the deep water at end of dock! Lots of good options there!

odddoylerules
Petty Officer

Post by odddoylerules » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:46 am

I think more ppl are coming so were headed to wildcat lake to picnic.

Any panfish or bass near the county park area??

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:38 am

You can look up almost any lake in the Lakes index and check out reports and look at the hotspots. Ive never actually fished Wildcat but the park is nice.

odddoylerules
Petty Officer

Post by odddoylerules » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:00 am

Folks are saying they'd rather stay closer so kitsap horseshoe lake it is. I've only fished there as a kid unsuccessfully for trout, can anyone tell me about panfish and bass this time of year there?

Some reports show lunkers but most reports are from may spawn times or late into fall

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:29 am

I've fished Kitsap, Wildcat, Spencer, American, Long and Horseshoe, but all by small boat. Horseshoe is comparatively small and has shallows around the whole lake i.e. no sharp drop-offs from shore. A nice thing about it is that bass seem to be along just about every shoreline and it has variety: trout, perch and crappie as well. I know where the camp/public areas are but can't say I can picture all the fishing opportunities/variety they offer. I believe there is significant shoreline available. Except for trout, they should all be biting this time of year. It's getting warm for the trout, so trolling is harder, but I think bottom fishing would likely be more successful. Different flying bugs are dominating and so at certain times of the day, something on the surface might be best for trout and it can be easy to spot them surfacing all over. Good luck.

odddoylerules
Petty Officer

Post by odddoylerules » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:39 am

Lookin for bluegills n bass boys! I'll report back

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:02 pm

Tye lake in Monroe. It's a drive and not the prettiest to look at but has swimming beach, picnic tables, playground and charcoal grills

odddoylerules
Petty Officer

Post by odddoylerules » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:08 pm

No fishing yesterday just scouting and boy let me tell u the guys fishing for planter trout's here are missing OUT. I will definitely be learning this lake in depth over the coming months/years. Definitely down to meet some regulars/locals if any see this and wanna hit some structure up for some lessons!