What Are You Using To Filet Salmon On

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
strider43
Captain

What Are You Using To Filet Salmon On

Post by strider43 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:54 am

I am having a hard time keeping my salmon pinned down when fileting them. I am using a piece of plywood which works well for one fish but by the second it is to slimly have any control of the fish while I filet it. I find myself cutting towards my hand which I don’t like. What kind of surface do you all use to filet Salmon on?

jd39
Commander

Re: What Are You Using To Filet Salmon On

Post by jd39 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:26 pm

For lack of a better alternative right now I do it right on my granite counter top when a big fish like salmon/steelhead. Smaller trout/kokanee sized fish I use a glass cutting board. Have the same problem, I use one of those fillets gloves to hold the fish, I seem to get a better grip and still cut away from my hand just to be extra safe.
I use kokaneekid's fillet method that's on utube (well I don't know if he invented it but he has a darn good vid demonstrating the method) for all fish except perch now and glad I switched.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:27 pm

I have a large 24x30 cutting board that works great.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:35 pm

I have a large HDPE Cutting board, that I lay a large towel over. Stops the fish from slipping around. If the fish are extra slippery, I usually wipe it down with one of those yellow shop towels. Gets rid of the slime real fast. Bleach and wash everything down afterwards.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:49 pm

I just lay a bunch of newspapers out on the kitchen counter and have at it.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:13 pm

obryan214 wrote:I just lay a bunch of newspapers out on the kitchen counter and have at it.
does that keep the fish from sliding around?

fishcaker
Angler

Post by fishcaker » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:31 pm

obryan214 wrote:I just lay a bunch of newspapers out on the kitchen counter and have at it.
This.

Lay a new, dry single sheet down (or remove the top sheet in a stack) for each subsequent fish...sticks right to it. I also have a dry paper towel in the non-cutting hand to pin the fish down.
FISH ON!! Ohhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhh! Dig It!!!

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:33 pm

I have a chunk of ply wood with outdoor carpet on it (the green stuff) and it works pretty awesome

jd39
Commander

Post by jd39 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Steelheadin360 wrote:I have a chunk of ply wood with outdoor carpet on it (the green stuff) and it works pretty awesome
I'm going to have to make one of these, sounds like the ticket.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:14 pm

For home, I just go to Costco and get those blue shop rag paper towels, a regular paper towel will work also but those shop ones are like 3 times as thick so they last longer.
On the boat I collect old towels and sweatshirts (buy em from Goodwill, pick them up from family & friends) and cut em into hand towel size. Then lay the fish on that either on the gunnel or a cooler or whatever flat surface you have. Works fine and you can just rinse the blood and slime off in the river when done. They get too gross, throw em away.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:47 pm

fishcaker wrote:
This.

Lay a new, dry single sheet down (or remove the top sheet in a stack) for each subsequent fish...sticks right to it. I also have a dry paper towel in the non-cutting hand to pin the fish down.
i use a stack and just remove for each side of fish. haven't tried the paper towel hand trick but will try it now.

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:25 pm

I just put a couple of garbage bags on the counter and use a sharp filet knife easy clean up.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:47 pm

fishcaker wrote:
This.

Me, too. Then wrap the remains up in the paper for the garbage.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:48 pm

I use a small section of plywood too. Will give it a wipe with a rag in between if it starts to get slimed up, but I think laying down a couple sheets of newspaper would probably do the trick too. A very sharp slim blade fillet knife helps. Helpful to hear how other do it. Good info. [thumbup]

Racer
Warrant Officer

Post by Racer » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:46 am

something I have used in the past is a piece of plywood with some sticky back sandpaper on it. I didn't have any problem getting slimed up and the sandpaper stayed on pretty well. I just put it in a few places to keep it from slipping. No problem with the cleanup either.

DjButler
Angler

Post by DjButler » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:27 pm

use a towel on top of the counter or your plywood. It works just fine for me.
Eat...Sleep...Fish

Norm
Warrant Officer

Post by Norm » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:21 am

I have the plywood and green carpet but am to lazy/busy to put it all together. I just use my tailgate at the river saves having a mess at home.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:26 am

Racer wrote:something I have used in the past is a piece of plywood with some sticky back sandpaper on it. I didn't have any problem getting slimed up and the sandpaper stayed on pretty well. I just put it in a few places to keep it from slipping. No problem with the cleanup either.
I like this idea and I have sticky back sand paper. I will give this a try

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:21 pm

I use the tailgate of my truck. It's got that car carpet on it, they stick straight on it. Then I hose it off with a little soap. Works like a charm. Just don't let your wife see you do it.

Idstud
Lieutenant

Post by Idstud » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:00 pm

I have a camping filet table I got off amazon with 2 sinks and a trash bag holder and garden hose holder. I rinse off after each fish and also use a cheap cotton winter glove on my non cutting hand to hold the fish with. The glove really grips the fish then I use dish soap to wash off the glove and through it in with the laundry.