New Fisherman In Washington

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
linesider33
Petty Officer

New Fisherman In Washington

Post by linesider33 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:45 pm

Hi Fellow fisherman, im a long time fisherman but from texas. very different fishing down there. my question is, whats the best way to fish here? i have no boat so its only from shores or docks and its freshwater. i live in whatcom county. does anyone know of any good spots or lakes near here? best lures to use? bait? any info would be greatly appreciated.:bounce:

fishaholictaz
Admiral

RE:New Fisherman In Washington

Post by fishaholictaz » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:03 pm

If you want to fish for trout in the lakes this is what you do from shore:

First off start with a 6lb or 8 lb main line. Then you slide on a 1/4 to 1/2 oz. sliding sinker. Attach to the end of the main line a small or medium barrel swivel. Now you want a 4lb leader if you use 6 lb main line or a 4 or 6 lb leader for 8 lb main line.
Attach a healthy leader I would start with 2-3 ft... Then at the end you want a snell (or baitholder) hook in size 6. For bait I would get a couple bottles of power or I like gulp eggs. I like the yellow,pink and red.(not all at the same time) I do mix and match sometimes though. It takes 3-4 eggs to float the hook. Make sure the bait floats and start catching.

If you feel like trying something a little more tricky take a night crawler cut it in half running the tip of the hook through the cut hole and come out about as far down as the hook is long. Then you want to take a worm inflater or a syringe and add some air to the worm by bringing the needle in from the top pointing down and injecting the air. You want to make sure there is only 1 hole where the hook tip comes out the body and I add a power egg to keep the night crawler up on the hook.

I would also use SPECIAL MIX or CRAWDADDY flavored scent made by smelly jelly:-$
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

linesider33
Petty Officer

Post by linesider33 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:26 pm

awesome info.. thanks a bunch

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:56 pm

Welcome 33...lots of good info here. I liked Baker and Shannon Lakes when I lived up there...but I'll let the northern boyz take care of you for current info. Welcome aboard!

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:46 pm

Welcome aboard sir. What sorta stuff you trying to fish for? Trout? Bass? ?????
Let us know!

MrLucky
Petty Officer

Post by MrLucky » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:28 pm

Welcome to Whatcom, linesider.

Padden is the go-to lake for Bellingham bank fishermen (though it's been off-and-on lately). You might also try the dock at Toad Lake, or head out to Silver Lake where you can rent a boat from the county park on weekends.

Fishaholic has got it right as far as a good bank rig. For variation, I do the same basic set-up, but with an extra-light pole, 3-lb line, a 1/4-oz egg weight, 2-lb leader, and a #6 egg hook baited with only 2 power eggs. Cast it as far as you can, set your drag light, and enjoy the fight.

Also, if you miss Texas bassin', you might head out to Terrell (bring your waders because there's only two docks and access from the bank is very limited if you don't want to get your feet wet).
There are two kinds of luck, and I got 'em both.

linesider33
Petty Officer

Post by linesider33 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:39 am

i wanna fish for bass and trout.. although i have never cleaned a trout and wouldnt know how.. bass i do know how. where is toad lake? ive fished lake padden with no luck using salmon eggs and power bait. that lake doesnt look very deep. is terrel lake near the refinery?

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:54 am

linesider33 wrote: i have never cleaned a trout and wouldnt know how.. bass i do know how.
The way I clean trout and small salmon is: First you cut from the butt hole up to just before the front fins. Then you cut behind the head just through the spine. Then you grab the head and pull down (this pulls the front fins, head,gills and guts out in 1 pull) Then you cut the blood out from under the spine and use you thumb to clean out the remaining blood that gets caught up there..

I found this to be the easiest way....
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket