No Gas Motor Allowed Lakes

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

RE:No Gas Motor Allowed Lakes

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Sat May 02, 2009 9:44 am

Anglinarcher wrote: I was surprised to see the two rod rule come to Washington.
The “two rode” rule is not new to Washington. I used to fish two poles per person back in the 70’s. Of course that was only in the salt. I have fond memories of one Milk Fund Derby back in the early 70’s when my wife decided it was time for me to take my oldest son of 6 years salmon fishing. So, off we went – just the two of us.

Back then the term “downrigger” did not exist in the sports fisherman’s vocabulary. The methods back then were to either mooch or troll with a banana weight. I fished with a modified “hand girdies” that came from a commercial trawler. They were just two arms that extended over the side of the boat with a hand winch with brake. I used 16 lb balls with a rubber Snubber and a rubber band for the release. It was primitive but deadly.

I remember looking out over Elliott Bay that morning and seeing all the boats stacked up like cord wood from the middle of the bay to the south end at the river’s mouth. Knowing that my method of fishing was a gear catcher of all those mooching and trolling I decided to go toward Alki that was on the other side of Duwamish Head. I no more got all four rods down when not one, or two, or thee, but all four rods loaded up. Can you imagine having four kings on with only a 6 year old beside you? Believe me, it turned out to be one of those Chinese fire things. I just gave my son Brian a pole that was tied off to the boat, grabbed another and let the two others just play the fish until we landed the first two. During the fight people would come along side trying to find out what we were using. One boat even banged into us. Here we were with four fish on, the cables and balls still in the water and all those jokers pressing us for information. I don’t know how but we managed to catch all those fish. Once the fish were on board it seemed as if the whole bay of fishermen decided I was in the “Honey Hole” and they all joined us. I just fired up the big engine and headed toward the middle of Elliott were everyone once was and started fishing. We no more than got down when two rods went off. In less than 11/2 hours we had six kings, the boat loaded up and headed home. I found it ironic that only 12 fish were checked in for the derby that date. To bad I didn’t enter Brian and myself in the derby.

Do I like the “two rod” rule? Not really. Think about it. We are supposed to be sports fishermen – not sports catchermen!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 02, 2009 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sat May 02, 2009 9:56 am

stampie wrote:
We are supposed to be sports fishermen – not sports catchermen!
What I like this for is targeting different species at 1 time. I can fish 2 poles here in Wyoming and it is nice for bottom fishing and bobber fishing.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Sun May 03, 2009 6:17 am

Thats an awesome story Stampie thanks for sharing.
I will agree with a couple others that have said that two rods are a little over-rated, it really depends on what and where you are fishing. Its good for trolling, or for using more than one method. I think those that haven't done it don't know how much work it can be. If you are fishing in a red hot bait bite its really more work to keep loading two rods and missing fish bites then to just fish with one in my experience...

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sun May 03, 2009 6:23 am

#-o :cheers: Well said Stamp=Master Baiter:-$ you be the man!!!!:cheers: :chef:

The Bannna weight:clown: was one of are only tools to fish and get are goodies in the bang zone I was one of the first to paint mine bright orange, pink and more#-o :-

I still use this process with the single Cheater Rod right down the gut off the prop wash with plug cut herring for little Billy Sleeping!!!:cyclopsan "
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 03, 2009 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun May 03, 2009 8:38 am

Just to give my 2 cents worth on the two rod story..
Some people have said that it does not impact how many fish you can take home. ( a limit is still a limit)
I have to say that I would not be in favor of two rods only because I think that you have to write these laws in such a way to account for the oh so many frequent law breakers out there. What I mean is that while most of the people on a forum like this are probably pretty good stewards of the waters.... there are SO MANY other people out there who don't abide by the rules, and two rods for them would just = more fish being taken home.
When I am fishing in a crowded public dock etc. I sometimes will watch what people are doing, and I don't mean to say that it ALL is purposefully wrong, some people are just ignorant to reading the rules. But I am always frustrated by the amount of people that don't seem to care.
Just walk along the shoreline at selective fishery lakes like Rattlesnake lake---- powerbait jars everywhere.

sorry... I will step down off the box#-o
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sun May 03, 2009 9:13 am

Going back to gas motors for a second, I was at Pine Lake yesterday and a sign right next to the launch at the park says "no internal combustion motors" and it's got an ordinance number listed, so I'm guessing it's a city thing and not WDFW.
FYI,
BR

ICSpots
Petty Officer

Post by ICSpots » Sun May 17, 2009 5:20 pm

I apologize if this was previously addressed but wading through the comments made me dizzy.

Speaking as a King County resident, you need to know that there are two sets of "no internal combustion rules" that you need to be aware of. The 1st is the state law which is identified in the fishing regulations and specifically identifies the lakes that you can't even have an internal combustion engine on your boat whether you are using it or not. The 2nd is King County ordinances which are applicable to various small lakes in the county. I don't have the ordinance number(s) in front of me but when I checked on-line last year, the ordinance said that you could not use internal combustion engines on specific lakes such as Lake Doloff in Federal Way. The next time you drive by a small King County lake, take the time to write down any posted ordinance numbers and check out the complete language online.

I know this has been a topic of much discussion over the years on the westernbassclub.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Fri May 22, 2009 8:38 pm

Equipped is the key word. You cannot have the motor tilted. Some Officers may just ask you to leave the water and not cite you.

There are many county ordinances that also deal with combustion motors so make sure you know the regulations of the water you are going to be on before you go!

stace
Inland Fish Program - WDFW
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Mon May 25, 2009 3:45 pm

BentRod wrote:
Joe Heater wrote:Thats another rule I have never understood. You can only fish with 1 pole. I only fish with 1 but why not 2. What does that possibly hurt? It's a ridiculous rule that will be no more starting next year. It's about time as well. It was a ridiculous rule that served no purpose.

....um, then why not just let people fish with dynamite too? There has to be some regulation. I don't like them all either, but they're made for a reason. Too much un-restricted fishing = no fish to go fishing for.
I know that alot of states have it where you can fish with more than 1 pole, my dad always thought that was a stupid rule that you could only fish with 1 pole because he was from a state that didn't have that rule.