Scooteney reservoir crawfish

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
davedavey
Petty Officer

Scooteney reservoir crawfish

Post by davedavey » Fri May 22, 2020 9:57 pm

Some crawfish from Skooteney sorry about the thumbnail.

Tackledog
Angler

Re: Scooteney reservoir crawfish

Post by Tackledog » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:20 am

Crayfish are good eating for sure! Those look like Northern crayfish which are invasive. They should have been eaten or killed.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:23 pm

Tom.

Interests: living

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:16 am

AMX I tried link 3 times, each time it went to 2010 - 2011 pamphlet, try this link for current pamphlet. [wink]

https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files ... w02077.pdf

Crayfish rules are covered, including color pictures of each species, on pg 130 of the current pamphlet. Pay close attention to restrictions as quoted below regarding non-native species...
Must be kept in a separate container. Must be dead before being removed from riparian area (immediate vicinity of water body). No daily limit, size, or sex restrictions. No Shellfish/Seaweed license is required. See gear rules page 135.
As to native species...
Min. size 3¼" from tip of rostrum (nose) to tip of tail. Daily limit 10 lbs in shell. All females with eggs or young attached must be immediately returned to the water unharmed. No Shellfish/Seaweed license is required. See gear rules on page 135.
While I do not advocate returning a non-native species to waters from which they were removed, the regulations do not prohibit one from doing so. The regulations also do not require they be killed or eaten. Then again, I see no purpose in practicing "catch and release" for crayfish. :-"
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:42 am

Up, an old bookmark of mine, but the pictures are pretty good. I'll have to get a new bookmark soon. Thanks
Tom.

Interests: living

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:09 am

Guess Tackledog took great offense to my reply above, sent me and Mike a PM threatening to "out" NWFR and me on "social media" telling them not to come here. Good luck, I don't do social media and couldn't care less. :-({|=

Rather incredulous Tackledog seems to think I called him/her out, which I did not, but it was perfectly fine for Tackledog to imply in HIS/HER comments on crayfish daveydavey had done something illegal and he had NOT.

Just as I posted above, state regulations say, and I'm quoting verbatim so there's no dispute, "Must be kept in a separate container. Must be dead before being removed from riparian area (immediate vicinity of water body)."

That means you can't commingle native and non-native species in the same container and non-native species crayfish must be dead before removing from the immediate vicinity of water in which they were caught.

The regulations DO NOT say non-native crayfish must be killed, only IF removed from the vicinity of the body of water in which they were caught. If you're going to present a personal opinion as if fact, you should at least own up to it rather than hide behind it. C'est la Vie Tackledog. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount