Making My Own Spin Shot Hooks

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
rickydbasser
Petty Officer

Making My Own Spin Shot Hooks

Post by rickydbasser » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:35 am

I recently wrote about a new hook given to me by a manufacturer called a Stand Out Hook. Since then I took an interest in a new drop shot set up called a Spin Shot, which is a small piece of wire, a loop on each end, and the hook hanging in the middle. I think this might be the ticket. Like the Stand Out hook, it keeps the hook upright, but it also spins on the wire, doing away with the pesky problem of line twist when the bait spins on the line on both the drop and the retrieve. The problem is they are a little spendy. The cheapest I've seen is about 70 cents apiece, with some with a built in swivel selling for as much as $1.75 a piece. But after closer inspection I found I could easily make them myself at a fraction of the cost. I just purchased a spool of .77 MM steel wire and made my own. Slick

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Re: Making My Own Spin Shot Hooks

Post by HillbillyGeek » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:38 am

Sounds cool! Got pics?

rickydbasser
Petty Officer

Post by rickydbasser » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:20 pm

HillbillyGeek wrote:Sounds cool! Got pics?
You can go on YouTube and type in "spin shot dropshot" and the manufacturer's product is shown, along with commentary by a couple pro anglers. You can also see how simple it would be to make them yourself. I made a misprint in my first post. It is not 77 mm steel wire. It is 73 mm, 22 gauge steel wire. I found mine at Lowes in the Art Framing Dept. Another benefit with this set up is, so many times after hooking a fish, the hook and both ends of the line go through the plastic, sometimes leaving a snarled mess. For you die-hard dropshotters, you know what I'm talking about. With the spin hook that never happens. Anyway, hope this helps....

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:25 pm

I bought a pack of those hooks, but it's too cold to go out and try them. Maybe next month when the air temp gets over 50 degrees, or March. [laugh] I've done enough ice breaking for my lifetime. [scared] Was going to go today but it was foggy and 34 at the lake, way too cold for me, I'm a wimp. The house is much warmer. :cheers:
Tom.

Interests: living