Steel Lake & Lk. Sawyer

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
topdawg47
Warrant Officer

Steel Lake & Lk. Sawyer

Post by topdawg47 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:25 am

Hey, I'm thinking of hitting up either both of these lakes on Saturday or just one! My target species will be Crappie & Bluegill. Unless I get skunked with the panfish & then it's bassin time, lol!

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody has had any real luck on either of these lakes in the recent past for Crappie/Bluegill?

What bait worked best, maybe a particular area?

I have never fished Steel & briefly put my line in the water & Sawyer years back..

I have done some research, but not a lot of reports on either species coming out of these lakes...

Thanks in advance..
Go Huskies!

topdawg47
Warrant Officer

RE:Steel Lake & Lk. Sawyer

Post by topdawg47 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:20 am

I guess out of all of all the anglers on this site, no one has ever fished for panfish (crappie in particualr) @ Steel lk or Sawyer..hmm:-"

LOL

O, well#-o
Go Huskies!

Slabking
Petty Officer

Post by Slabking » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:09 am

Sawyer is an easy one....for real. Head straight across the lake from the boat launch and fish that entire cove with a jig under a float. Keep your boat as far away from the shore as you can. The water is clear and the crappies will spook. Also, if you head out from the launch you'll see a main lake point across from the launch. Head toward the point then take a left, the first 8 or so docks that you see will be loaded with crappies. They'll be feeding on this years fry. Try an all white jig about 4 feet under a float in that area. You'll have to cull a bunch of little ones but there are some 11-14" slabs in there. There are some humps out off the islands that can be great in the middle of summer as well.
Need to know more about crappie in Washington? Washington Crappie Page

topdawg47
Warrant Officer

Post by topdawg47 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:12 pm

Thanks SlabKing..I'll be floating in the pontoon, with the trolling motor. I printed out a topo map of Sawyer to find the deepest points of lake..Since they like to hang around cover and next to deep drop offs.

I'll probably try and get out there sometime next weekend hopefully..

I have been reading up on crappie..they move so much and you really have to be on top of them and know what you are doing unless you just get lucky/stumble upon em' and find them somewhere.

Thanks tho
Go Huskies!

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:21 am

topdawg47 wrote:Thanks SlabKing..I'll be floating in the pontoon, with the trolling motor. I printed out a topo map of Sawyer to find the deepest points of lake..Since they like to hang around cover and next to deep drop offs.

I have been reading up on crappie..they move so much and you really have to be on top of them and know what you are doing unless you just get lucky/stumble upon em' and find them somewhere.

Thanks tho
How did it go? Pictures?

topdawg47
Warrant Officer

Post by topdawg47 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:44 pm

Dustin07 wrote:
topdawg47 wrote:Thanks SlabKing..I'll be floating in the pontoon, with the trolling motor. I printed out a topo map of Sawyer to find the deepest points of lake..Since they like to hang around cover and next to deep drop offs.

Thanks tho
How did it go? Pictures?
Dustin07- Tomorrow morning @ the crack of dawn, I'm going to give it a go! Holler if ya see me, I usually rock husky football gear of some sort..haha

Yellow toon
Go Huskies!

shock_me
Angler

Post by shock_me » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:07 pm

where is the best place to fish walleye please help i'm new to the area

topdawg47
Warrant Officer

Post by topdawg47 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:07 am

shock_me

I could not tell ya where to catch them on the west side of Mts

Eastern WA, like Banks lk has them for sure..

Check the walleye forum
Go Huskies!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:11 am

So you're on the lake with your computer at 5 am? :-"

How's fishing?

I was going to be there before first light but had a stomach problem last night, maybe I'll try again tomorrow/Sat. morning.
Tom.

Interests: living

topdawg47
Warrant Officer

Post by topdawg47 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:35 pm

Amx wrote:So you're on the lake with your computer at 5 am? :-"

How's fishing?

I was going to be there before first light but had a stomach problem last night, maybe I'll try again tomorrow/Sat. morning.
haha..naw! I woke up around 5am or so..

Got skunked for the most part...had a couple of followers and caught 1 sunfish...
Go Huskies!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:05 pm

You going to try again tomorrow? I plan on being out there by 5 am and hopefully by 4 am. Wouldn't mind getting there earlier for a change.

I'll try to send you a pm with my phone number, haven't tried a pm on this web site yet, but I see the icon down there. Now I just have to find the alert indication that I have an incoming pm if I get one. lol
Tom.

Interests: living

fetchitup7
Petty Officer

Post by fetchitup7 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:10 pm

If you guys want some easy Crappie fishing you need to try Cassidy right away. Look up my last report. The bite is on at sundown, but a buddy of mine went yesterday morning and slayed 'em.
"Hey everyone, come see how good I look!"