Crappie question.

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
YellowBear
Captain

Crappie question.

Post by YellowBear » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:17 am

What size Crappie do you concider to be a keeper?
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

crappiemaster
Lieutenant

RE:Crappie question.

Post by crappiemaster » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:40 am

Depends on how many you are willing to clean. There are size limits as well. Potholes, they have to be over 9". If you get anything between 11" and 13', those are nice fish, anything over 15" you are in SlabKing's territory!! Lots of 7"-8" inchers out there, Nothing like packing some cornmeal and flour and frying a couple of those smaller ones by the lake for breakfast. (A couple of eggs over easy are nice too!!)

topdawg47
Warrant Officer

Post by topdawg47 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:41 am

10" depends on how thick they are too though. Just give it a good eye test. Also, follow any state regulations on particular fish you catch...
Go Huskies!

TroutCowboy
Lieutenant

Post by TroutCowboy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:34 am

Good question. Aside from the regs, of course, we always use the term "dinner plate" for a keeper size. In my house that translates to about 12". And I do love my crappie wearing a crispy cornmeal sweater while laying on that dinner plate.
JOHNNY K.
Liberty Lake, WA

crappie007
Warrant Officer

Post by crappie007 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:45 am

First I always follow regs and rules. I prefer at least 10". This is based on the size that I continually find on differn't bodies of water and also if I'm finding any crappie at all. In spokane county Its hard for me to find them bigger than 10". Ofcourse I can find them 12" at long lake but I'm not a fan of that recreation area. I will keep 5- 10 of them and will C&R if they are spawning. I dont get to fish for Crappie much anymore as my fishing buddy (who owns the main boat and all the goodies) is a perch fanatic. I own a 4ft by 8ft fiberglass but I'm only good in it for about 2 hours then I get uncompfortable. Someday I'll get set back up for them properly. Until then all I can do is drool over the reports that come in and dream a little dream.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jordan
Lieutenant

Post by Jordan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:31 pm

ya depending on where I am fishing for Crappie but anything above 10" is a nice Crappie to me! How has the Fishing down at Potholes been? Whats been the best? I live up in Wenatchee and I love coming down to Potholes! If you could get back to me Yellow Bear that would be great!
Ozzie

"Do what you like. Like what you do."

<><

felts_jf
Warrant Officer

Post by felts_jf » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:11 pm

If it will make a biscut stink, it's big enough to eat!
The boat doesnt catch fish it's the person. Rippin Lips

BassFanatic
Commander

Post by BassFanatic » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:57 pm

I would have to say a crappie over 11 inches is a keeper even though regs say anything over 9 inches is.
CPR-BOYZ
CHECK US OUT ON YOUTUBE!!!

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:51 pm

Man nephew we shoulda nailed em today!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

BassFanatic
Commander

Post by BassFanatic » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:01 pm

i know it will happen next time we go out hopefully we won't have any technical difficulties next time around. I'm tryin to catch some nice slabs before we head out.
CPR-BOYZ
CHECK US OUT ON YOUTUBE!!!