Crappie jigs... how to fish??

Warmwater fishing fans
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Crappie jigs... how to fish??

Post by The Quadfather » Sun May 15, 2011 1:41 am

I am going to a cappie lake tomorrow,, rain or shine. It looks more like rain though.
I have never caught a crappie and I don't know a thing about fishing for them. I bought a couple of "Crappie jigs" can you tell me how to fish them? At first I thought that you just put them under a bobber and stillfish them..? Then I read to jig them off the bottom? Can somebody recommenda technique? See photos.
Attachments
Crappie_jig_2.jpg
Crappie_jig_2.jpg (7.19 KiB) Viewed 6134 times
crappe_jig.jpg
crappe_jig.jpg (21.95 KiB) Viewed 6136 times
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Crappie jigs... how to fish??

Post by natetreat » Sun May 15, 2011 1:51 am

I've seen videos where people ice fish with them. They just lower it down and wiggle them. I've caught crappie and bluegill on them before, casting them out a little, to where I saw them, and wiggling it a bit. But that same day I caught them on a a bare gold hook, no weight, bait or anything, just whipped out and let it sink. Other than that, I haven't been crappie fishing since I was a kid, so I can't help much.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun May 15, 2011 1:51 am

The Quadfather wrote:I am going to a cappie lake tomorrow,, rain or shine. It looks more like rain though.
I have never caught a crappie and I don't know a thing about fishing for them. I bought a couple of "Crappie jigs" can you tell me how to fish them? At first I thought that you just put them under a bobber and stillfish them..? Then I read to jig them off the bottom? Can somebody recommenda technique? See photos.
I've had success putting them 2-4 ft under a small bobber, cast out and just slow retrieve it back. Never tried jigging them. Kinda hard to cast them D/T the light weight. Light gear works best.
Last edited by Mike Carey on Sun May 15, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun May 15, 2011 1:53 am

Mike Carey wrote:
The Quadfather wrote:I am going to a cappie lake tomorrow,, rain or shine. It looks more like rain though.
I've had success putting them 2-4 ft under a small bobber, cast out and just slow retrieve it back. Never tired jigging them. Kinda hard to cast them D/T the light weight. Light gear works best.
Nevermind. I've never tried under a bobber.
Last edited by natetreat on Sun May 15, 2011 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sun May 15, 2011 2:09 am

if i'm not gettin' bit fishin a jig under a slip bobber, i'll toss the jig out a lil ways an just let it slowly swing back to me (works even better if you know where the fish are). i catch quite a few bigger trout swingin' it like that. also tip'n them with a berkley crappie nibble will definitely increase your hook ups.
Last edited by spokey9 on Sun May 15, 2011 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun May 15, 2011 2:26 am

Thanks for the info. Spokey. As far as the "Fishing relaxes me... and killing things..." I like that. I like that very much.

4r7wHMg5Yjg

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Sun May 15, 2011 2:42 am

I should of asked the same question when I drove to Lake Kapowsin for crappie. I tried a jig under a bobber by 2 feet. Casted to structure and reeled back slowly. Didnt catch any crappie that day. Good luck Chris
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

Kfedka
Commander

Post by Kfedka » Sun May 15, 2011 3:11 pm

Still fishing can work good at times and reeling in slowly also, you need to experiment. Rocket Bobbers work well because it allows you to cast very far.

duffy
Petty Officer

Post by duffy » Sun May 15, 2011 4:46 pm

We've always tipped them with a chunk of nitecrawler and jigged along the weedline. My wife uses a bobber and I'll drop one to the bottom and slowly work my way up jigging until I find the level their at. If your shorebound the bobber works well as you can cast out and let current or wind work it for you.

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:54 pm

I use a 1/16 oz, or a 1/8 oz white jig and catch crappie.
OR, Use a bobber, and a 1/32 oz jig, and once the jig hits
the water it is going to have its own motion falling down slowly
. After a few minutes, reel it in, and repeat. good luck
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

MrJohn
Petty Officer

Post by MrJohn » Mon May 16, 2011 12:50 am

Haven't done it for a long while but hope to again this year.
Use the smallest bobber that won't sink with the jig and then twitch the bobber back.

Cast....let jig sink...twith bobber....let set....twitch it again

good luck

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon May 16, 2011 4:45 am

Well... had my first outing with the crappie jigs. I fished one under a bobber. Tipped it with a Gulp maggot. Bobber was still for about 2 minutes. Went down hard.... pulled in a 3.0lb trout, 19.5" I think I'll be using these again soon:-"

4r7wHMg5Yjg

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Mon May 16, 2011 1:06 pm

I just cast and reel when im fishing open water. Slip bobber and bobber stop set at near bottom to start and adjust to find fish on brushpiles focks and really any structure.

Btw saw your link quad. Honey badgers rock haha got bit by a cobra. Did it die? Nope just a small nap and back to eating.... Funny link
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:29 pm

The Quadfather wrote:Well... had my first outing with the crappie jigs. I fished one under a bobber. Tipped it with a Gulp maggot. Bobber was still for about 2 minutes. Went down hard.... pulled in a 3.0lb trout, 19.5" I think I'll be using these again soon:-"
Nice fish :cheers: A tipped jig under a slip float is my go to for big trout when the water warms. but don't tell anybody, it's a secret:-"
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.