Rufus

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
cornbok
Petty Officer

Rufus

Post by cornbok » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:13 am

Going to Rufus Woods this week. There were a ton of reports for a while, and they all but quit coming one of a sudden. Anyone know anything?

caskillet
Petty Officer

RE:Rufus

Post by caskillet » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:10 am

Get out there and catch them. They are still there, and all over. At dusk on Saturday, they were rising all around us near the net pens. Looked like a fish hatchery out there.

HINT: The one I cleaned (and others I saw cleaned) were FULL of the feed that slips through the pens during feeding time...
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

northfork
Lieutenant

Post by northfork » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:11 pm

cornbok- look in the freshwater forum for a report from last weekend.
Bill

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:04 pm

If your fishing at the net pens, hope for current, and use a 1 OZ shore sinker to hold the bait. If the current is low, the fish are small. If the current is high, the fish are large.

If you are trolling, try a jointed Repala at about 10' of depth.

I was out there Tuesday on a Job, and the fishermen were driving me nuts with all the fish I saw caught. I will be out there tomorrow, and when the job survey is done, my fishing rod will come out.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:23 am

I have only fished Rufus 2 times. The first time the fishing was pretty good (I think). The bets bait was probally a plain marshmellow and a worm. But we also landed fish on sherbert powerbait & white power egg, white powerbait, char. powerbait, white/char. powrebait, rainbow powerbait, yellow power eggs, salmon egg flavored powerbait, you name it.

The 2nd time the fishing was slower. We used a regular white marshmallow and char. powerbait, (only because we saw people doing pretty well on white powerbait and a char. marshmallow, and we didnt have the right stuff to duplicate their set up so we got as close as we could). This next set up is really tough to use and I HATE using it but it works on most (if not EVERY) lakes, 6' - 10' 4lb leader and a size 14 or 16 egg hook and a single power egg. Orange produced at Rufus.

We also tried jigs, spinner, plugs, plastics for not even a bite. But like I said I have only fished it 2 times both of witch happened this year. The 2nd time (I fished Rufus) it wasnt happening at the net pens for us. Go down past the pens about a mile past the verticle rock wall on the right side of the road and turn off on one of the dirt roads, (only if you have a 4x4) if the net pens dont produce. But the pens are where its at. Switch baits about every 20 min. if no fish are landed. But remeber I am no pro at this lake, good luck my friend

produce2troutcat
Petty Officer

Post by produce2troutcat » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:46 pm

I am going there next weekend for 3 days. I have never fished there but I am armed with everything I can think of to use.I have a couple of ideas that I want to try out that is not using bait.My main intent is to scope out the entire area accessible by land and check out the boat launching areas.If the pass is not snowbound,I might take the 12ft boat and launch/anchor at the pens themself.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Cool article I just read. What a monster. Wouldn't mind hooking into this monster...

http://www.fishingandhuntingnews.com/ar ... n/wa05.txt
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

AdsBot [Google]
Commodore

Post by AdsBot [Google] » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:59 pm

Sam Kafelafish wrote:Cool article I just read. What a monster. Wouldn't mind hooking into this monster...

http://www.fishingandhuntingnews.com/ar ... n/wa05.txt
Sweet article!!!! Thanks for posting!!!! That fish is unreal. I can't believe the size of that fish and the coloring down the body. This is a fishery I want to available when I retire...so preservation and continued stocking is the way to go on Rufus. I doubt I'll be able to get over there this year due to the cost of fuel among other things, but some day I hope this fishery is still thriving, enough so, that we can enjoy when our time comes. What a fishery!
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trout slayer
Petty Officer

Post by trout slayer » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:27 am

I would try the chief joseph ramp with rapalas just my input...:-"
10% of fisherman catch 90% of the fish

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:35 pm

In the latest F&H news it shows this 16 year old kid with 21 lb trip that he caught on a home made jig AND a home made fishing pole that he made in school. Thats some skill for a fisherman in general let alone a 16 year old.

ndn
Petty Officer

Post by ndn » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:53 pm

Has Anyone tried motor mooching a small cut plug herring for trips?

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:22 pm

I don't want to start a new thread,thought I would pick up this one.

Is anyone catching the monster lakers out of Rufus Woods right now? Or is it still to cold?
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:37 pm

kevinb wrote:I don't want to start a new thread,thought I would pick up this one.

Is anyone catching the monster lakers out of Rufus Woods right now? Or is it still to cold?
By lakers do you mean lake trout? If so, I dont think there are any lake trout in Rufus Woods.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:51 pm

maybe i'm mixing chelan and rufus. I know chelan has them(lake trout) i thought rufus did too. Maybe i'll have to start a chelan thread.