American Lake Kokanee

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
machewbacca
Petty Officer

American Lake Kokanee

Post by machewbacca » Fri May 08, 2015 9:29 pm

According to the WDFW, American gets nearly 500k kokanee fry, double what Stevens gets. Yet, I don't see much in terms of positive reports... is this lake not an exceptional kokanee lake?

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: American Lake Kokanee

Post by Toni » Sat May 09, 2015 6:48 am

It can be.

The fish that are caught today were planted in 2013. Many factors are involved in the survival of the 479922 fry that were planted in May and June of 2013. Algae/zoo plankton growth and predation as well as a few other factors.

Last winter it appeared that most of the next years fish (only 5000-10000) that were caught were released in Nov. 2013 as clipped fish. Not many of the non-clipped fish had been observed being caught. The biologist commented to me wondering how this season was going to turn out...
It may be an off year. This seems to happen about every two years at American. Last year was a great year!
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Bilgewater
Petty Officer

Post by Bilgewater » Sun May 10, 2015 7:51 am

On May 7 I trolled past 4 or 5 randomly scattered dead perch floating belly up in the southerly end, south of Silcox. And at one time, seven eagles were circling that area, and an unknown number were perched in the trees. They would periodically pick up something from the surface but I could not tell if they were grabbing dead perch or shallow-swimming trout.

What do you suppose is causing the perch die-off? Might there be a kokanee connection?

Phytoplankton (algae) produce a significant portion of the dissolved oxygen in American. Zooplankton feed on phytoplankton, and kokanee allegedly feed on both. Limnologists say that a reduction in phytoplankton populations results in increased water clarity, with a corresponding reduction in production of dissolved oxygen. I don’t know if American water is becoming more clear. Has anyone noticed any difference?

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Sun May 10, 2015 11:24 am

The water is the same as last year as far as color goes. I think the fish that are running around are young and still learning to bite or chase? I see many time where they swim at my lines but go right by no bites, over and over again this happens. I did manage one koke the other day it did have its fin. Only 11 inches very small but I was happy to put some American lake koke blood on the deck hope it brings me good luck.

Other lakes are really producing this year let's hope American turns on soon only time will tell. Keep in mind I fish afternoon time frame so this may play a part in my catch but last year I did very well in the same time of day and sunshine.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

machewbacca
Petty Officer

Post by machewbacca » Mon May 11, 2015 12:30 pm

I assumed that predation might be an issue here... but that's alot of fish loss, if they are stocking that many fry to account for predation. I would assume that american suffers from likely the same challenges that face other lakes, ie Stevens. Still I would think that with that number of fry plants, fishing would be much more consistent. I know that American produces some healthy sized kokanee, making me believe that natural conditions exist that would sustain a healthy kokanee population. Thanks for the feedback!

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun May 17, 2015 9:10 am

Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.