Which side would you fish?

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fishcreekspinners
Lieutenant

Which side would you fish?

Post by fishcreekspinners » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:31 pm

Put yourself back in this place.... You're standing on a river bridge looking upstream and downstream about to start fishing. Which direction do you head to catch the most fish? Which side will bring you the best luck? Upstream left or right or Downstream left or right?

You can assume clear passage both sides, but if there's something influencing your choice, go ahead and share it!

No test, just some winter fun!

Coastfishin
Commander

RE:Which side would you fish?

Post by Coastfishin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:40 pm

downstream, on the left

fishcreekspinners
Lieutenant

Post by fishcreekspinners » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:50 pm

I'm right handed, fishing spinners and also downstream left.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:15 pm

depends on what the river is doing. Where is the rocks. Where is the fallin tree. The breaks in the water are located where? Id toss where the river is tellin me to toss it. And if that dont work toss it down stream left lol.
More fish please!

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:21 pm

Below the bridge slightly upstream right..... Bringing it straight across the pool that is usually below bridges..
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:56 pm

flinginpooh wrote:depends on what the river is doing. Where is the rocks. Where is the fallin tree. The breaks in the water are located where? Id toss where the river is tellin me to toss it. .

Gotta read rivers. ALL DEPENDS....so many variables.

Take the left fork. :-"
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

fishcreekspinners
Lieutenant

Post by fishcreekspinners » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:20 am

Hmmm, thinking some more. Solitude is as important to me as great water conditions or rocks causing chutes and riffles. If one direction is stacked up with other fishermen like telephone poles, I would likely head the other direction, but definately try to hit under and below the bridge.

If fishing pressures high, I'll just bend off the water into the woods for 100 yards or until I could find a nice stretch of open water. Reading the river, is key, but still feeling lucky downstream on left!

Something that 'would' change my choice of direction would be any bigger animals on the water. Moose, Bear, Elk cow or calf, a dog, or bees. No need having a little race or playing hide and seek in hip boots!

If I'd fished the stretch before. If so, I would likely repeat my path to try to catch that 'big' one that rose but did not strike or any remembered hot spots. Habits. A prior trip could work the other way if during that trip, I discovered an obstruction or major tributary, posted land, etc. but this scenario was supposed to be open access.

As far as my recollection of luck on rivers though, barring other influences, my memory brings back more fish caught headed downstream off the left bank for some reason, which surprises me, since I mostly fish across and upstream unless its a pool, letting the current control/tumble the spinner downstream. My memory could be playing tricks on me, happened before!
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:16 pm

:pl: :pr:... :scratch: This is where local knowledge will help, along with a map!
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:21 pm

Depends on how hard it is to get down to the river.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

fishcreekspinners
Lieutenant

Post by fishcreekspinners » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:39 am

How true! First things first.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:58 pm

With everything said, I would pick up river left. I am left handed so casting would be easier being on the left bank of the river. Going upstream is a thing I have always done, when possible, for flyfishing. It is better to go upstream and not disturb the water or scare fish like one would do going downstream. One more thing I would consider in this situation would be the direction the sun was casting my shadow. Just more food for thought.

fishnislife
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:53 pm

My luck, and it happens all the time... I get to one side and fish it and wish i was on the other side! Do I go to the other side? NO :) Too much time wasted! But I would probably go down on the left.
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:27 am

Depends a lot on the water temp. The colder the water the farther downstream I'd fish. The warmer the water, the farther upstream. Just feels right to me.
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

SAPIplate
Warrant Officer

Post by SAPIplate » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:24 pm

Usually downstream and on the left side, since I'm left handed I guess. Unless I'm fishing a small stream for spooky fish, I go upstream on whichever side will give me the best concealment from the fish.
Release Wild Steelhead
Pink Salmon Fan
Salmo trutta

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:39 pm

i'd fish the side that shows the most fish since i would be on it looking down:-"

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:24 am

maybe I just make life harder for myself, but I wanted to go upstream instantly and fish from the right. I'm right handed.

always seems like there are more people down stream.

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:04 pm

Upstream. No preference on which side.
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."