My first homemade lure

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Gotcha
Petty Officer

My first homemade lure

Post by Gotcha » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:59 pm

So for a little while now I've been wanting to try my hand at making a couple lures. So today I had a little time on my hands at work so I made this.

I started with a scrap piece of stainless and used a Piranha and a belt sander to shape it. I used a rotary punch for the 1/8" holes on tip and tail then used some metal scrolling tools to give it a little twist. After all that I took it to the wire wheel for a little bit of a polish. Let me know what you think.

I was thinking about painting it but I'm not sure how or with what. If anyone has any suggestions on what I should use or tips for making different types please let me know.
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." -John Wooden

Malottguy
Petty Officer

RE:My first homemade lure

Post by Malottguy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:06 pm

Nice little lure you made hope it catches many many fish in its life.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:14 pm

That is awesome looking. I don't know that I would paint it at all. Your lucky to have the metal working skills and tools. I've got the woodworking tools, but don't know what the heck I'm doing most of the time.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:20 pm

Hey Gotcha , Let us know how the action is on that baby. Looks like it could be a killer twitch bait for trout and such. Also it may have a twirling erratic drop.
Cool work Man. Can't wait to hear the report.

Gotcha
Petty Officer

Post by Gotcha » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:22 pm

blufin loui wrote:Looks like it could be a killer twitch bait for trout and such. Also it may have a twirling erratic drop.
That's what I'm hoping for. I was thinking of something where the full lure spins not just a blade. I'm going to play with a few different sizes and colors and see how it works out. I'll let you guys know... maybe even send some out if their successful.

blufin loui
Lieutenant

Post by blufin loui » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:29 pm

To make another style of the same lure, you might consider putting a line of small holes around one side of the lure before you twist the lure. Varying the number and size of holes might change the turbulence as the lure moves through the water.
So many possibilities.
Way to go MAan

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:44 am

Beautiful work. I am also very curious to hear what the action is like and how many fish you catch with that baby.

fishcreekspinners
Lieutenant

Post by fishcreekspinners » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:34 pm

Nice job! Saw the question about painting and know that youtube.com has some videos you may want to check out. If you just search on powder coat painting fishing lures, you'll find a bunch of hits. Here's one.

Powder coating fishing lures

Again, nice job!

big fish lite line
Commander

Post by big fish lite line » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:53 pm

great looking lure but I think its going to spin your line at 5,000000000 rpms if you troll or cast it.
its possible that the spinning would trigger strikes. just have to use it to find out... good luck:cheers:
hurdle the dead and trample the weak

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:49 pm

that thing kinda looks like a wicked willy , humpy slayers
fish on!

Gotcha
Petty Officer

Post by Gotcha » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:13 am

fishcreekspinners wrote:Nice job! Saw the question about painting and know that youtube.com has some videos you may want to check out. If you just search on powder coat painting fishing lures, you'll find a bunch of hits. Here's one.

Powder coating fishing lures

Again, nice job!
Cool videos. I think I'm going to have to give that a shot sometime. Thank you.
big fish lite line wrote:great looking lure but I think its going to spin your line at 5,000000000 rpms if you troll or cast it.
Well I'm hoping that the swivel on the top will prevent too much line twist. If it still twists too much I'll make another one with less twist in it.