Wedding rings?

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Xiphias Gladius
Petty Officer

Wedding rings?

Post by Xiphias Gladius » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:37 am

I live and fish in north eastern Massachusetts. Most of my trout fishing spots are deep rivers and small deep ponds with stocked rainbows. I have heard time and time again to use "wedding rings" to troll for trout. What I know is that they are a kind of bead spinner that you can tip with PB or a worm. They unfortunately do not sell the ones I want online and I can not find them on the east coast. I also fly fish and I was wondering if someone would be nice enough to participate in some sort of swap with me to acquire such wedding ring trout killers? I am not comfortable with mailing cash in exchange for spinners with someone I dont know, but I will swap flies for a spinner or two. Anyone interested? Thank you

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Wedding rings?

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:14 am

You said that you couldn't find them online..... try http://www.boatersworld.com/product/477656730msk.htm

Is this the style that you are looking for? Myself, I don't use a colored blade like the one in the link above, but you get the idea. If so, maybe you can order something from this link. If it is something else send me a PM, and maybe I can find something here for you.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:19 am

You can order them from Mack's Lures who manufacture the wedding ring lure. I have several wedding ring lures from Mack’s and have ordered from this web site several times.

The web site: http://www.mackslure.com/default.asp . from this page you can choose all kinds of wedding ring lures. You name it, they make it and have it available to order. You might also have a look at the Mack's "Flash Lite". It's a ultra light weight "pop gear" or flasher system which allows you to troll it using light gear. They attract trout very well.

wedding ring classic lure : http://www.mackslure.com/Results.asp?category=33

Wedding Ring Pro-series : http://www.mackslure.com/Results.asp?category=34
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:11 pm

Why not just make your own?

A wedding ring is nothing more than a hook, blade, clevis, and a few beads. The effectiveness of the trademark ring in the middle is overrated.

This one worked very well last year:

Piscatory Geekus Maximus

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:28 pm

If you really wanted the "wedding ring", you can go to your craft store or go to EBay and buy them. The wedding rings are called "rondelle beads".

For the colored plastic beads, you can use single beads like in the pics above. Or go to EBay and buy "stacked beads". Several dozen will cost a few bucks.

Xiphias Gladius
Petty Officer

Post by Xiphias Gladius » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:14 am

thanks for your responses. I'm sure the beads would only be a few bucks for a dozen, but I would also need to buy the blades, which I would suppose would cost more. I think I will just buy a couple off the Mack Tackle website. Sorry for my misconception. Thanks again.

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:37 am

When you go to the Mack's website and click on wedding rings and beads, spinners etc, don't forget to click on "details" below each picture. The promise keeper works well for larger trout. along with Rapala lures about 1.5 to 2.5 inches long. Tiger pattern works for me. Go back through the archives and check out what we use here in the Washington. Good luck to you. You can ping any of these people and they will help you out. I am always available if you need lures from here.Again good luck, Steve BTW The "Rondelle Spacer" beads are 6mm and are cheapest on eBay. Swarovski are the best, much clearer and brighter than glass . Any craft store or bead shop has them. It's safe to go in those places. :pr: The ladies will help you out:salut:

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Swarovski-Crystal ... 240%3A1318
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:27 am

2 words "DOUBLE WHAMMIES"!! Those are a type of wedding ring they are a little bigger and have 2 hooks the 2 hooks are ideal for tipping with a half night crawlers:-$ You want to keep the night crawler straight don't ball them up:-&

BBT
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:58 pm

here are a few catalogs you can order if you are interested in making you own.

www.barlowstackle.com

www.jannsnetcraft.com

www.hagensfish.com

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:39 pm

Xiphias Gladius wrote:thanks for your responses. I'm sure the beads would only be a few bucks for a dozen, but I would also need to buy the blades, which I would suppose would cost more. I think I will just buy a couple off the Mack Tackle website. Sorry for my misconception. Thanks again.
those blades are easy to find in Ebay too. look under Indiana blades
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gian
Warrant Officer

Post by gian » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:41 am

I bought the rondel beads off ebay, about 50 of them to a pack. Then I went back to macks and bought the plastic "beads" from them in assorted colors. I also picked up their smile blades to go along with them. I have tried different bead combos of different materials and the mack bead being one solid piece does make the lure act differently in the water as opposed to a bunch of loose beads stacked on top of one another.

The combo I found that works best for my area was a mack bead tail, the rondel bead, then a rectangle 1/4 inch long glass bead, a small round glass bead, then the smile blade or spinner.

The glass adds just enought weight to the lure and having the two glass beads touching one another makes a bit of noise, adding a metal spinner rotating around the glass adds to it. the glass beads in front stay staionary, while the lighter mack bead wiggles, like a tail.

You can also subsitute the glass beads for brass lure bodies from barlows and have the same action. I get my spinner blades and bodies from them. Great place to deal with and my 09 catalog came a few weeks ago.

Also spinner bait hooks with straight shanks work better with this setup than bait hooks that have an angled eye. The angle makes the hook sit out of line when trolling and the whole set up will roll and twist instead of swim. I don't know too many fish that swim through the water like a corkscrew, even when they're injured.
I won't kill anything less than a meal

GeryG
Warrant Officer

Post by GeryG » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:18 pm

lol, thats a good one.

physher92
Petty Officer

Post by physher92 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:04 pm

yep no doubt wedding rings are my favorite trout lure. they work great. i make my own. for the trout that i fish for, i use a #4 or 5 brass colorado blade, with about an inch and a half of beads, doesnt matter too much the color, and then two snelled hooks, gamagatsu like #8's work best, but it doesnt matter too much, and then tip it off with about 2 or 3 inches of a big nightcrawler and troll them very slowly. ice caught all kinds of trout on them!
You can never catch fish if your line isn't in the water - you don't know if you don't go