Talk to me about mackinaw

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
whorde
Petty Officer

Talk to me about mackinaw

Post by whorde » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:45 am

The word is, that if I'm willing to pound up the hill to Lake Wallace, there are lake trout to be had. IF one knows how to effectively fish for them. In general terms I'm not keen on advertising non-standard fish in a lake, but in this case, hike will keep out all but the most determined.

This is not going to involve a motorized boat. We learned our lesson about humping that much gear up a 3 mile trail that wasn't too steep. I'm not going to do it again on a 5 mile trail that's steeper. I'm going to have a 1 man rubber raft, and oars.

Anyone who is experienced at catching lake trout, please weigh in on suggested effective methods. Those who I have spoken to so far about this have tried jigging and haven't had a bite. Beyond that, presume I know nothing.

Thanks for any advice!

sickbayer
Commodore

Re: Talk to me about mackinaw

Post by sickbayer » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:01 pm

Big fat spoons, they sit on ledges or drop offs. Take a portable fish finder and find some structure and troll slow 🐌

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:23 pm

or jig them. The fish finder is a great idea.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:38 pm

I should add troll to the speed your spoon works.

whorde
Petty Officer

Post by whorde » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:43 pm

how do you propose trolling a spoon without downriggers? just with ... a 6 or 8 ounce weight or something?

ncwflounderer
Lieutenant

Post by ncwflounderer » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:13 pm

you can jig spoons too
Eat, sleep, fish

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:24 pm

whorde wrote:how do you propose trolling a spoon without downriggers? just with ... a 6 or 8 ounce weight or something?
You can buy those trolling L shaped swivel gadget. 2bucks. Hang a weight on one swivel and leader with spoon to other swivel. You will need to practice the speed you need to go to get the lure to work.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:26 pm

http://www.fishwithjd.com/2009/05/10/ma ... gging-101/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://cayugafisher.net/pages/jigging/j ... e_jigs.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take a look at this jig. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0ZGkogywjY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know a guy who fishes Macks with these. I fish for Mackinaw quite a bit, but the lake I fish is mostly able to be accessed May-August. I do like to fish for these creatures, but I don't consider them much for table fare. Realizing that will prob. spark up a whole debate about how to serve Mackinaw. To me when a fish is very palatable with the most minimum amount of seasoning and effort, this is the beginning of a great fish.
Mackinaw I have found that yes, with smoking, you can get something worth chewing on. However they require a lot more attention to seasoning, etc. when just putting one on the bbq.
But of course there are so many great reasons to enjoy fishing rather than just to eat fish.