Fishing the Cowlitz

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
motorek
Petty Officer

Fishing the Cowlitz

Post by motorek » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:22 pm

Hi, I live couple hours from the destination so I would like to know something more about the river, to be better preeper. I got some chinook last season in skagit using spoon. Would they work in the Cowlitz too? How deep is the river bellow the Barrier dam? I have pontoon bout 11', would it be useful fishing the Cowlitz? I appreciate all other helpful information too.

flinginpooh
Captain

RE:Fishing the Cowlitz

Post by flinginpooh » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:13 pm

I have not had good luck fishing spoons on the cow. For kings I use red there. Use around an ounce of lead. 4 ft leader or so. Get to the other side using your pontoon. There is a deep section of river that the kings come up on the other side. With the water levels where they are right now its about 30 feet out and it drops off. Im headed down to the cow right now gonna stay till sunday. Figured Id check the site one last time lol. Good luck to ya.
More fish please!

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:21 pm

Hey Pooh, let us know how you did at the BC. I have not had much luck at the BD. Just curious if BC is any better. I did see a nice gorgeous chromy springer caught approx. 20# today around 5:30pm. But that was the only fish that I saw caught. Pretty much everyone was floating egss or drifting eggs.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:32 pm

I got skunked myself but my family members had some luck. We had a sled out targeting springers. Back trolling plugs. They went 2 for 3 steelies. Landed a 16 lb or so native hen, released of course. And a 8lb chrome hatchery buck. Me and a cousin was pounding the boat launch area off and on all weekend. Finally on sunday he woke up said he was ready. Found a tackle box soon as we hit the bank. We was the only ones on the bank at 3am that I saw. He caught a 12 inch sucker 10 mins later. Half hour later he caught a 6ft fish stick with alot of gear on it. Then 5 casts later hooked into a 7lb dime bright hatchery buck. He was on fire. But the fire went out and we got wet. It rained all morning.
More fish please!

salmonslayer117
Commander

Post by salmonslayer117 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:53 pm

But the fire went out and we got wet. It rained all morning.[/quote]
LOL I hate it when the rain puts the fire out. Of course I just use a road flare to get it goin' again lol!
When times get tough, just keep on fishin'!!!