How to avoid the Blue Creek Rockfish!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kinghunter
Warrant Officer

How to avoid the Blue Creek Rockfish!

Post by kinghunter » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:02 pm

Can anyone help with how to avoid SNAGs out on the Blue Creek area? I have tried cannon ball weight, pencil lead weight, bass weight, egg weights, even with the lightest weight possible and still getting rockfish. Any advice would be helpful.

curado
Admiral

RE:How to avoid the Blue Creek Rockfish!

Post by curado » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:47 pm

try lindys snagg free sinkers or slinkies
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:53 am

kinghunter wrote:Can anyone help with how to avoid SNAGs out on the Blue Creek area? I have tried cannon ball weight, pencil lead weight, bass weight, egg weights, even with the lightest weight possible and still getting rockfish. Any advice would be helpful.
You might want to check the regs kinghunter, but I am sure Rockfish are illegal to target this time of year#-o . Hope this helps. :cheers:
I know you catch a lot of Stickfish too, I hope you release these, oh and the Logfish, let those go as well. And the Overhangingbranchfish, these are to be left alone also. :cat:
"One more......."

datsun
Petty Officer

Post by datsun » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:44 am

I don't mind the rockfish too much, the Overhangingbranchfish now those guys embarrass me! I always try to Catch and release them when no ones looking.

:)

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:12 am

I caught alot of rockfish last night myself. But I notice if ya give a good pop to your rod instead of a hookset type jerk you can take em off most times. Yeah it gets annoying fast. Im gonna have to make another trip out there soon.
More fish please!

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:33 pm

My last trip down I started off just using my weights like usual. However after many rockfish hookups and I couldnt land one by the way. I started using slinkies. Because of the way they feel bouncing off the bottom its a lil different. But you can deffinately feel the bites. It payed off switching. I only lossed one set up after making the switch.
More fish please!

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:06 pm

sliny wieghts are gong to beyour best best. or go with the smallest pencil lead you can find, this makes your wieght longer and helps keep it out of the rocks.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:40 pm

good advice all. You want to find that happy balance of feeling the weight bounce along but not dragging. Basics (not saying you need this info, but for the beginners reading this thread):

Cast slightly upstream and immediately get your rod tip UP and slack line reeled in. Use your rod to bring the weight up if you begin to feel a snag. Watch the end of the drift as well - always keep your line without ANY slack in it! If you do snag, as previously mentioned, reel down on the line and point your pole straight at the snag. Reel tight, tighten drag, and step back. Often times the snag will come free. Finally, use a slightly lighter line for your leader than your main line - it will break first (if the hook is the snag point) and you'll only have to re-tie the leader. ALWAYS have pre-tied leaders. Time fishing is too precious to be tying leaders at the fishing hole.

And definately, slinkies are the best way to go, if the current will allow it.

Flinginpooh - I see your advatar is your #1 Steely - sweet. :cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:16 pm

i have used slinkies alot along with pencil lead. slinkies are nice as they dont snag up as much. pencil lead is better for low water.:cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

EGG GURU

chum77
Petty Officer

Post by chum77 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:57 pm

its pretty simple..................spey rod

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:01 pm

i would have 2 agree 2

EGG GURU

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:37 am

Or fish with floats.
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."