pack it in....pack more out

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

pack it in....pack more out

Post by hanapaa808 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:05 pm

i think we all need to do a better job of picking up our trash/garbage/whatever. I always seem to be taking a bag full of of trash out with me from the rivers. if you take it in please take it out. another thing that is really a problem is that everytime i go fishing i see hundreds of yards of fishing ine tangled up and thrown on the ground or half of it still in the water..... come on guys/gals, pick it up and throw it away. stuff like this will get access to our rivers shut down. not to mention its just a safety hazard when trying to step over and around line thats tangled everywhere. so please clean up after yourselves. and i think that when we clean our fish at the river, try to throw your guts and stuff into the river to where the current can take it down, dont just leave it on the ground. thanks

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:pack it in....pack more out

Post by Bodofish » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:37 pm

Preaching to the choir my friend. I think for the most part we have a pretty green crew here. Your energy is probably better spent shaming others at the shore and of course setting a good example yourself. That said;
Vent away........
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:08 pm

im as far from green as it gets. I cant believe all the trash floatin down the river right now pick up your shait
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fish on!

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Post by hanapaa808 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:43 pm

bodo, i kinda figured that before i wrote this topic that the majority of us here do pick up our garbage aswell as others. i just wanted to remind the ones that dont. its just frustrating to take a kid or someone thats new to fishing out and they see all of the garbage all over the place and having them trip over line tangled in the bushes and in trails. i think we should all try to set the example... thats all.... vent vent vent

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:57 pm

I do.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:23 pm

They should make it where the Game Warden's can hand out tickets for littering on the rivers too if they see it happening. When I go fishing we try to pick up broken line that people leave along the shorelines of the rivers. Freaking got my foot all tangled in one down by the mouth of the Toutle River last week, it was a pest trying to get it off my wader boot for 5 minutes around my foot when i was standing in the water lol.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:50 pm

I'm sure that they can do that now. If they can make an arrest for possession of drugs, I would think they can issue a citation for littering.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:27 pm

Yep they would be sworn in "peace officers" and can do any sort of arrest'in that needs to be done.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:29 pm

saltyseadog wrote:im as far from green as it gets. I cant believe all the trash floatin down the river right now pick up your shait
I'm really sorry about that....... I always take out more garbage than I bring in. I guess some one needs to be your mommy.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:56 am

Bodofish wrote:Preaching to the choir my friend. I think for the most part we have a pretty green crew here. Your energy is probably better spent shaming others at the shore and of course setting a good example yourself. That said]Vent away........[/size]
Yup, there are a number of families here that make cleanup of their local fisheries a regular priority. My family likes to hit Lake Tapps in the winter when the water level is down and clean up the submerged trash that you dont normally see.

My wife also got involved in a program that recycles Monofiliment (flouro too). I'll let her fill you in when she gets home.
Attachments
SW_SM_CMA_Litter_Signs.jpg
SW_SM_CMA_Litter_Signs.jpg (108.67 KiB) Viewed 4450 times

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:27 am

Good job man! I'm more of a one man litter campaign myself. When I see it happen I'm all over them. A little public humiliation goes a long way.

And just for the record, not littering, picking up litter, enjoying the outdoors with out garbage. In short, not being a sloth of a human being and not living in ones own filth doen not make you an eco-terrorist.

Oh yeah, that makes me want to eat a steak and run my jetboat WOT!!!!!!

Misselley
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Misselley » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:46 am

Here is a program for line recycling that is sponsored by Boat U.S. and Berkley. They supply bins for individuals or clubs to intall and maintain.

Requirements:
As a reminder in exchange for the free bins and signage, you commit to 1) install the bins 2) maintain them on a regular basis 3) send the collected line for recycling (usually via UPS to Berkeley) and 4) report on our website the amount of line collected and shipped.

I was just contacted that they have more bins ready and are taking sending them out to first come first serve.

The person to contact is:

Susan Shingledecker

Assistant Vice President, BoatU.S.

Director of Environmental Programs, BoatU.S. Foundation

147 Old Solomons Island Road, Suite 513

Annapolis, MD 21401

(703) 461-2878 x8358

www.boatus.com/foundation
Ellen McVey

Field Designs, Sponsor
www.FieldCustomDesigns.com
Cascade Musky Association.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:10 am

thats why my backpack goes with me 1/2 full, comes back 100% full. Seeing the occasional fishing line, or a lure drift past isn't a big deal to me. that happens. it's the burger wrappers, beer cans, etc that bothers me.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:27 am

We keep a few grocery store bags in the side pouch of our soft sided cooler we use when fishing. Nice to alwayse have a trash bag available.

Berkley and Boat US Mono Recycle program info
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.