I need some coho redemption. Any tips?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fisherben
Petty Officer

I need some coho redemption. Any tips?

Post by fisherben » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:14 pm

So far this season I have spent countless hours upon hours spinner and egg fishing the Skykomish, Snohomish, and even Puget Sound from shore. I'd say I've just about caught everything BUT my target. Dollies, sea run cutts, lots of little rainbows, and I even lost a hatchery steelhead that bent my hook. I managed to get it on film though (some gratification :-s ). My normal MO is to cast out 1/4-1/6 oz spinners, sink them for a few seconds, and reel as SLOW AS POSSIBLE right along the bottom. My friend has spent an equal amount of time on the river this year fishing spinners, and has caught at least 15 coho and two kings (all over the Sky watershed and in all river/weather conditions) using the exact same technique. Last year I managed to land a 13 lb buck by Gold Bar, however this season I've only managed to get a 14 inch jack without even hooking a single adult. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, so at this point I just feel like giving up and investing my time elsewhere. All I need are some tips or maybe a couple reliable and local river options besides the Sky. I really appreciate any info! [thumbsup]

schu7498
Commander

Re: I need some coho redemption. Any tips?

Post by schu7498 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi Ben!
That spinner technique can be killer! When there are fish around. I would definitely turn your focus to other rivers. Check out the Grays Harbor area or Chehalis river basin. Chehalis should be loading up with coho, and soon they should be up in the skookumchuck area. Fishing eggs under a float or twitching jigs will get you fish on the skookumchuck. Tossing spinners or brads plugs on the chehalis will work. When the Satsop drops back in, it should be loaded with fish. Satsop gets coho into December. I highly suggest checking out the cowlitz. There is a reason why the coho limit is 6 per person. The river is loaded with fish. Target the terminal areas from blue creek up to barrier. Eggs under a float, jigs tipped with shrimp, or twitching jigs can get you fish. Even drift fishing corkies will legitimately get you fish. Put a piece of shrimp on your hook. believe it or not coho will gladly take a rocket red corkie or a pearl pink corkie. No need for a long leader. Dont forget your spinners, but they do end up being an expensive thing to lose, and the bottom of the cowlitz likes to take your gear. Humptulips will have fish in it through December as well. The Green river has fish in it, try to target the black diamond area close to the boundary. The green river coho are SUPER light biters. Sometimes free drifting will be a much better option as you can feel them mouthing the bait. A lot of times if youre fishing a bobber, when they are mouthing your bait the bobber wont go down. What youll see is your bobber wobble a little bit, or it might seem like you are getting sculpin or trout bites. And dont forget twitching jigs. Dark colors seem to work best. Twitching works on every river, it works best in slower water. And works especially well when trying to coax coho out from woody debris.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:03 pm

Well Ben don't feel too bad. I was in a leg cast Sept thru Oct 24. I'm heading out this weekend and or this Friday. I haven't fished since Sept 3rd. I keep hearing about hen heaven. I'm so jealous . Keep fishing you'll catch.Once you break the ice you wont know what to do with all the fish.

whorde
Petty Officer

Post by whorde » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:51 pm

I certainly feel you on this. I tried and tried and TRIED and tried to catch salmon trolling, on the shore, on the pier in Edmonds, in the river .... long story short, I've only had 1 day I caught fish all season. Well, two ... one of the two days they were 4 non-hatchery fish so we had a 4 fish skunk. Between the various options I've been out 21 or 22 times, give or take, caught salmon twice, and had salmon to take home just the once. I quite literally had to go back to my roots, and troll off the Dungeness Spit like we did 20 years ago when I was in high school, in order to get a salmon.

Hey schu - are there any rivers in Clallam county or thereabouts which you're familiar with which are good fishing and accessible to a beginner?

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:02 pm

I hardly fish Clallam county. Its a heck of a drive. I would PM BlakP. He fishes Clallam quite a bit.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:14 pm

whorde wrote: Hey schu - are there any rivers in Clallam county or thereabouts which you're familiar with which are good fishing and accessible to a beginner?
Like Schu said, I fish A lot around here. I'm on the Dungeness river literally about everyday during salmon season. It's not the best run this year, but if you want any info or help on fishing it, feel free to PM me.

RiverWarrior
Petty Officer

Post by RiverWarrior » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:17 pm

schu7498 wrote:Hi Ben!
That spinner technique can be killer! When there are fish around. I would definitely turn your focus to other rivers. Check out the Grays Harbor area or Chehalis river basin. Chehalis should be loading up with coho, and soon they should be up in the skookumchuck area. Fishing eggs under a float or twitching jigs will get you fish on the skookumchuck. Tossing spinners or brads plugs on the chehalis will work. When the Satsop drops back in, it should be loaded with fish. Satsop gets coho into December. I highly suggest checking out the cowlitz. There is a reason why the coho limit is 6 per person. The river is loaded with fish. Target the terminal areas from blue creek up to barrier. Eggs under a float, jigs tipped with shrimp, or twitching jigs can get you fish. Even drift fishing corkies will legitimately get you fish. Put a piece of shrimp on your hook. believe it or not coho will gladly take a rocket red corkie or a pearl pink corkie. No need for a long leader. Dont forget your spinners, but they do end up being an expensive thing to lose, and the bottom of the cowlitz likes to take your gear. Humptulips will have fish in it through December as well. The Green river has fish in it, try to target the black diamond area close to the boundary. The green river coho are SUPER light biters. Sometimes free drifting will be a much better option as you can feel them mouthing the bait. A lot of times if youre fishing a bobber, when they are mouthing your bait the bobber wont go down. What youll see is your bobber wobble a little bit, or it might seem like you are getting sculpin or trout bites. And dont forget twitching jigs. Dark colors seem to work best. Twitching works on every river, it works best in slower water. And works especially well when trying to coax coho out from woody debris.

Schu said it all! When fishing a float and you know there are fish in the system, however you're not getting bit. Go ahead and down size your presentation. Smaller bait, light leader, lighter lead, lighter bobber system. Lockjaw'd coho are finicky. Add scents to your eggs, and if it doesn't work change it up with a squirt of another scent. Also don't over look adding a sand shrimp tail to your eggs/ fishing a sand shrimp tail alone. You may be surprised by the results. Have faith! you will get your redemption. Good luck! [thumbup]