good polorized fishing glasses

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
DannyL
Captain

good polorized fishing glasses

Post by DannyL » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:38 pm

What brand in your guys opinion is the best for around 50-70$
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Re: good polorized fishing glasses

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:49 pm

DannyL wrote:What brand in your guys opinion is the best for around 50-70$

Go to Costco for some Maui Jim's, which is a brand that is often highly recommended by fishermen. Costco sells them at a steep discount, compared to retail sunglass shops

I have also heard good things about Serengeti brand. You can pay full price at sunglass shops for $100-$200 per pair. But I saw this week's ad in Big 5 that they are selling them at around $40-60 bucks (significantly reduced from the much higher normal price)

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Maybe I'll head to big 5 on payday

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:56 pm

+1 on maui jims if you can find um at a decent price.
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

sjrose24
Petty Officer

Post by sjrose24 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:00 pm

I love my pair of Smith's with copper polarized lenses for fishing but they are more expensive. I payed $100 for them but that was discounted %50 for being on snow patrol.

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:22 pm

You can get a pair of Native for 70 and up. I don't know of any Maui Jim's that cheap.

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Post by bugmasta » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:33 pm

NFCustom wrote:You can get a pair of Native for 70 and up. I don't know of any Maui Jim's that cheap.
got my mj's at costco for $65

NFCustom
Warrant Officer

Post by NFCustom » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:08 pm

Good find. At Sportco all the pairs I looked at were no where near that price.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:35 pm

I have a $25 pair that I got from a kiosk in a mall and I can see through the water just fine...they are polarized just the same as any other pair of polarized lenses...and if I break them or lose them I won't be so pissed.

No brand name...probably super cheap plastic in the frame...but those lenses are polarized and that's all that matters to me.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:39 pm

mizm05 wrote:I have a $25 pair that I got from a kiosk in a mall and I can see through the water just fine...they are polarized just the same as any other pair of polarized lenses...and if I break them or lose them I won't be so pissed.

No brand name...probably super cheap plastic in the frame...but those lenses are polarized and that's all that matters to me.
I got 2 for $25... same kiosk in a mall.. i can see all the logs and stumps i need to avoid while going up river also schools in the shallows.. :)

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:40 pm

I have one pair from shakspear and one from Berkley and my buddies see fish when I can't.

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:17 am

mine are prescription glasses that I got thru Americas best which I paid a butt load of money for and they suck ballz. I would do the contact thing and buy some actual glasses but I have a very nasty reaction to contacts. I have found some companies that i can special order with my RX but man those are super pricey.

edit* Anybody out there order prescription polarized glasses that work correctly?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:03 am

chrome_chasin wrote:mine are prescription glasses that I got thru Americas best which I paid a butt load of money for and they suck ballz. I would do the contact thing and buy some actual glasses but I have a very nasty reaction to contacts. I have found some companies that i can special order with my RX but man those are super pricey.

edit* Anybody out there order prescription polarized glasses that work correctly?
You bet! Oakley's are by far the best, make sure they make the lenses. I've also had Rayban's and Maui Jim's. The MJ's are nice, again make sure they do the lenses, not just some lab the shop uses. Oakley's by a long shot though. Get ready to pay, can't say I've ever paid less than $500 for a pair of RX Shades......
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:06 am

Bodofish wrote:
chrome_chasin wrote:mine are prescription glasses that I got thru Americas best which I paid a butt load of money for and they suck ballz. I would do the contact thing and buy some actual glasses but I have a very nasty reaction to contacts. I have found some companies that i can special order with my RX but man those are super pricey.

You bet! Oakley's are by far the best, make sure they make the lenses. I've also had Rayban's and Maui Jim's. The MJ's are nice, again make sure they do the lenses, not just some lab the shop uses. Oakley's by a long shot though. Get ready to pay, can't say I've ever paid less than $500 for a pair of RX Shades......
yeah just going thru America's Best I paid $400 and the frames were only $50, yeah I have some jacked up eyes. Its why I still use them. Cant imagine what RX shades from those manufacturers would cost.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:12 am

My Maui Jims were $578 and my Oakley's were $540 with a steep discount (I worked for a bunch of eye Dr's then). I can't do contacts either because of my prescription so I get stung with several pairs of glasses. One pair for work (computer) and one for outside and a pair of shades. I'm due for a new pair of shades, they'll definitely be Oakley's and in the brown polaroid.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

LakeRoesigerguy
Angler

Post by LakeRoesigerguy » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:21 pm

My vote goes to the Strike King S11.

Alot of good reviews.

c_saeteurn
Warrant Officer

Post by c_saeteurn » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:05 pm

I get mines from lowes 40 bucks. polarized. scratch resistant. comes with a "whatcha call it. attaches to the glasses and goes behind your head or neck. so if it falls. you wont loose them

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:57 pm

Maui Jims or Costa all the way. I spent years on the flybridge running the boat 60-120 miles offshore, scanning the ocean for breaking fish and/or kelp patties with no eye strain at all. I also used them for inshore fishing and they did an awsome job of reducing glare. Now my sunglasses of choice are the Costa C-Mates, the glasses with the magnification feature (my eyes are much older than I am...). Although I usually use my C-Mates now I still have a pair of Maui Jims that I think are 12-15 years old and they're still great sunglasses.

needs2hunt
Warrant Officer

Post by needs2hunt » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:20 am

i love the Strike king s11's i have 2 pair. around $30 ... i can see things in the water better then Squatch can see with his glasses...

Gwendylyn
Petty Officer

Post by Gwendylyn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:59 am

+1 on the cheapo mall glasses. They work just fine for me & when I inevitably break or lose them, it won't sting quite so badly
The fish that got away, gains at least 2 lbs a day. It's science.