Snake River Sturgeon

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
eustace
Lieutenant

Snake River Sturgeon

Post by eustace » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:48 pm

Does anyone else fish the Snake for the Sturgeon. I fished the weekend before last at Central Ferry (Mar 20-22) and did pretty good at the bridge. No keepers and no shakers just a couple of peelers. But three days of fishing allday and three fish is not excactly hot, But still awsome.

My partner thinks we would do better closer to Lower Granite Dam. Does anybody have a better suggestion. Personally I think we should fish the same spot. My partner thinks they are migrating to the holes below the dam. If you can settle this argument please comment.

P.S. That was the best Sturgeon fishing I have done in 20yrs and maybe thats why I don't whant to move.
Well its not called Catching!

fishaholictaz
Admiral

RE:Snake River Sturgeon

Post by fishaholictaz » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:54 pm

I fished the upper river in Oregon but that might be to far for u we would catch a few sturgeon while cat fishing every day.
20-30 pound cats are fun also:cheers:
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:41 am

The sturgeon are in about every deep hole in the Snake from the base of The Twin Falls, near Twin Falls Idaho, to the confluence with the Columbia.

I can't tell you where to find them, I don't fish that area enough to know, but in the spring they do move upstream, so below the dams is not a bad place to fish, IF you have the depth.

Still, if you are happy, then don't fix what is not broken.#-o
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:49 am

Hells Canyon is overloded with oversized Diamond backs:-$ :cheers: and he area is a real beauty as well
Attachments
zxcvb.jpg
zxcvb.jpg (72.96 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
asdfg.jpg
asdfg.jpg (95.87 KiB) Viewed 2420 times
xxxxxxx.jpg
xxxxxxx.jpg (74.21 KiB) Viewed 2422 times
10-Sheep.jpg
10-Sheep.jpg (57.31 KiB) Viewed 2425 times

bigbads10
Angler

Post by bigbads10 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:14 pm

there is a couple holes below lower granite that i heard of and my pa took a picture of a guy with one over 105'' right below the dam

eustace
Lieutenant

Post by eustace » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:29 pm

Thanks to everybody that replied. I have fished below the dam twice and with the first trip being OK 1 fish. The second trip last weekend being the best ever Sturgeon trip for me so far. And the first time being spooled, I need a bigger rod and reel setup. The bite last time was that magic hour between offical legal fishing and the sun shinnig on the water where I was picking them up at. I did meet a few local diehard Sturgeon fisherman down there that give some great tips and advice what to fish with, when, where and how including spot that are better at different times of the day and times of the year. Now I just hope I can come up with the time and money to learn it first hand.
Well its not called Catching!

goosegetter79
Angler

Post by goosegetter79 » Sun May 24, 2009 8:20 pm

I would fish right below the dam we have caught quite a few sturgeon there the biggest being 84". We caught a couple just using nightcrawlers fishing for cat's. That was a few years ago tho. Good luck.