Tacoma area SteelHead

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
DriftingTheNorthwest
Petty Officer

Tacoma area SteelHead

Post by DriftingTheNorthwest » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:16 am

Hello everyone that is reading this. I live in the Tacoma area and I was wondering what rivers in the area are good for steelhead and if there are rivers good for steelhead what methods and such should I use for this? Thanks for your time.

-----Drifting The NorthWest

Peduncle
Angler

Re: Tacoma area SteelHead

Post by Peduncle » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:01 pm

Unfortunately there is no steelheading opportunity in that area. Your best option would be the Green but it's not going to be open till 2018 for winter run most likely.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:44 pm

Drive out to the Olympic Peninsula and pick a river. other than that you have the skykomish or columbia +tribs.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:19 pm

The cowlitz but that won't pick up for steelhead until very late feb, and into march thru April. There's a few others but none are close enough to Tacoma to consider it "Tacoma area". Methods? Well there's plenty of methods to catch a steelhead and even if you are told which methods work best don't expect to go out and start slaying them as it is called the fish of a thousand casts for a reason

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:59 am

im a drop a BOMB and say the Skook..... Its dirty but fishable! That or the NOTELLUM river just north of tacoma... =D>

NWBoater45
Petty Officer

Post by NWBoater45 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:42 pm

DriftingTheNorthwest wrote:Hello everyone that is reading this. I live in the Tacoma area and I was wondering what rivers in the area are good for steelhead and if there are rivers good for steelhead what methods and such should I use for this? Thanks for your time.

-----Drifting The NorthWest
When in doubt call your local WDFW dept. and ask them or hell just stop into Sportco. There are several rivers right by you and within an hour or so. Another idea is to get up early on Saturday and listen to 950 or 710.