Skagit Coho 2014

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Skagit Coho 2014

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:24 pm

Its finally that time again. Fall salmon are entering all of our favorite rivers!

Had a great year last year meeting lots of new people from Walakes, and I hope to see a bunch of new and old faces this fall

If you want to learn a little about coho fishing, or just put some bright red fillets in your freezer, come on up with me. There are always plenty of fish around, and slow days are hard to come by

As of right now, other than a few days I am saving for regulars, all of my September days are booked. However, October is when the big number days start to happen, and I have quite a few open days for October coho on the skagit. They usually go quick so get ahold of me relatively soon if you want to get out! I prefer Email to calls as i am often busy and not able to answer the phone right away

JUST for a bit of inspiration... A scout day on the skagit around the Mid-river area this last Sunday yielded much better than expected results... Found lots of coho, hooked 25 or more, all dime bright... Kept our limit...Mostly wild, besides a few...meaning they are likely not cascade bound, which says they will better spread in the system and not shoot straight to the cascade hatchery. A very good sign of things to come... We o
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (133.64 KiB) Viewed 7802 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (140.11 KiB) Viewed 7802 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (119.78 KiB) Viewed 7802 times
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

mitch184
Angler

Re: Skagit Coho 2014

Post by mitch184 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:54 am

Boy, you guys must have done a LONG float Sunday. When we saw you, you were still in the bottom end of the Cascade. How long is that float, 40 miles?

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:52 pm

mitch184 wrote:Boy, you guys must have done a LONG float Sunday. When we saw you, you were still in the bottom end of the Cascade. How long is that float, 40 miles?
From marblemount to concrete is 16 miles. We found a few fish up top but really found good pods between fabers and concrete in a few big logjams :). When i say mid-river i mean rockport-concrete area because, since i fish in a driftboat I never go much below concrete, so to me thats midriver

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

mitch184
Angler

Post by mitch184 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:06 pm

Gotcha. Guess I just though those pics were taken at Sutter Creek. Either way, 16 miles at those flows is a long day. Hopefully you ate all your roomates Wheaties that morning!

fish vacuum
Petty Officer

Post by fish vacuum » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:21 am

Can anyone clarify the sections of river requiring a guide to be licensed by the Forest Service to guide on the Skagit and its tributaries?
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/passe ... ev7_001674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:04 am

fish vacuum wrote:Can anyone clarify the sections of river requiring a guide to be licensed by the Forest Service to guide on the Skagit and its tributaries?
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbs/passe ... ev7_001674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hows about you clarify it for us? I see you have made 22 posts. Are all of them trolling Danny's threads? I dont even know danny, but am always taken back by the level of bs he gets on here. Is this the only reason you are on wa lakes? Or do you have anything constructive to add?

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:29 am

fish vacuum wrote:Can anyone clarify the sections of river requiring a guide to be licensed by the Forest Service to guide on the Skagit and its tributaries?
I have the license. The forest service is so slow at doing things they havent updated their website in years. Another guide on the skagit, Cal Stocking and I had been trying to get the license for 6 months last year before they finally responded. If they wont respond to our emails and calls its not our fault we couldnt get the license right away. Cal has been a guide on the Skagit for many years and often has trouble renewing his through the forest service because they seem not to care, they seemed pretty annoyed at helping me get mine.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:08 am

I see Cal's guide service is listed on that website.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:10 pm

Matt wrote:I see Cal's guide service is listed on that website.
Yep cause he has had it for many many years, but they are not responding the last few times he has tried to renew or when i first applied for mine. I asked Cal for the exact same process he went through to get his, he said he would even call for me to see what he could do. Nothing worked... Their fault, it was a hassle. I had to drive to the office and practically beg someone to help me get it. Its a joke. The lady said she forgot it even existed...

Why am I even arguing about this with you people anyway. [confused]

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:20 pm

Where else do thevsilvers spawn? Thought like 90% go up cascade, a lot go upstream, we have a creek in front of our cabin that gets coho and its like 6 miles up from the bridge. Glad to see you're already slaying, surprised we haven'tbumped into ya yet up there in the drifter

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:13 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:Where else do thevsilvers spawn? Thought like 90% go up cascade, a lot go upstream, we have a creek in front of our cabin that gets coho and its like 6 miles up from the bridge. Glad to see you're already slaying, surprised we haven'tbumped into ya yet up there in the drifter

Ohhh no haha. A very large percentage of skagit coho spawn elsewhere from the cascade. The Sauk gets tons, Bacon creek, Goodell creek, lots try and go up the Baker. The Skagit gets like over 100,000 wild coho and i doubt over 10k go up cascade

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:52 pm

oh duh haha forgot about baker and sauk runs. I think 20k at least go up cascade cuz last year the hatchery alone got 12k fish back and that's not counting the ones that were caught and ones that by pass the hatchery or natural spawners. do they go all the way to the gorge dam like the kings too?

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:34 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:oh duh haha forgot about baker and sauk runs. I think 20k at least go up cascade cuz last year the hatchery alone got 12k fish back and that's not counting the ones that were caught and ones that by pass the hatchery or natural spawners. do they go all the way to the gorge dam like the kings too?
Yea exactly i meant 10k true wild fish. Some go wayy up yes sir

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:56 pm

oh. you doing trips with your sled or just drift boat? can't wait to twitch some homemade jigs in some sloughs from our sled, last year was good

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:55 am

Brat Bonker wrote:oh. you doing trips with your sled or just drift boat? can't wait to twitch some homemade jigs in some sloughs from our sled, last year was good
Just drift boat, dont have the coast guard license for the sled yet, and the driftboat in my opinon is more fun and relaxing. Im signed up for the coast guard class for october though. Will have it soon :)

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:59 am

Fishing is great right now even in this crazy low water. Will be amazing with the rain forecasted in the next week or two. I have no openings until the second week of october, if anyone is interested in October 13-18 they are open right now. The fish will be hungry!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (71.48 KiB) Viewed 6942 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (166.11 KiB) Viewed 6943 times

steelseeker
Petty Officer

Post by steelseeker » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:55 pm

notice one method catching most,or were you using diff methods?nice fish

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:05 pm

steelseeker wrote:notice one method catching most,or were you using diff methods?nice fish
This low water has em holding. Holding coho love good cured roe. Catching a few here and there twitching jigs but 95% float fishing roe

pdxforskagit
Angler

Post by pdxforskagit » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:17 pm

Plan on coming up this Friday from Portland. I will be fishing for sea run cuts and coho. Any reports on the river would be appreciated.

KING KONG COHO
Petty Officer

Post by KING KONG COHO » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Spanked them a few days ago on jigs at a few favorite places! Started at 6:50 AM and were finished at 9 AM with 3 limits (2 wild and 2 hatchery) for 3 people! Nice day and darn bright fish too! 8 pounds tops though! Waiting for rain and bigger fish!