Wallace River Steelhead

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bobberdownchromer
Warrant Officer

Wallace River Steelhead

Post by Bobberdownchromer » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:26 pm

Wondering if anyone has heard if theres any steelhead at the wallace.
Thanks

Sthao92
Petty Officer

Re: Wallace River Steelhead

Post by Sthao92 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:17 pm

From what I have heard the wallace river hatchery does not rear steelhead anymore so the ones that are caught I assume are stragglers from the sky or wallace steel from the past

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:21 pm

Sthao92 wrote:From what I have heard the wallace river hatchery does not rear steelhead anymore so the ones that are caught I assume are stragglers from the sky or wallace steel from the past

Wallace is getting its steelhead from Reiter.

Fish don't usually show up till the end of the month, and when they do its very scattered. Go get your line in the water and youll find um

Bobberdownchromer
Warrant Officer

Post by Bobberdownchromer » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:25 pm

Ok thanks, I was debating to hit the wallace near the hatchery or reiter. Ill probaly just go to reiter.
Thanks for the tips

Sthao92
Petty Officer

Post by Sthao92 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:53 pm

With that high water we just had i would say reiter too. But i will be on the snoqualmie this weekend with my dad doin what i first learned and what my grampa loved doin. Plunkin sandshrimp for steel now that it is open for bait.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:35 pm

Last I checked the wallace gets stocked with hatchery fish. Just not that many, 20,000 smolts which aint nothin compared to other rivers but they are there.

FishingThePacNW
Commander

Post by FishingThePacNW » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Every trip i took to the wallace last year for steelhead wich was about 6 or 7 times i saw at least 1 steelhead pulled out! Ill be going there this winter because the fish are easier to locate on smaller rivers. Reiter will be good too! i still need to get my first!!

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:22 am

I saw a good number of steelhead come out of the Wallace last winter, some them on the large side. The problem that I see this year is the lack of rain which seems to be playing a role in the amount fish going up the wallace. The past few years there has been an abundance of Salmon from the opening to the close of the Wallace.I know it closed for Salmon retention after 12-1 but the Salmon are caught while fishing for Steel. With the exception of the begining of October there has not been very many Salmon in the Wallace. The usual spots are not yeilding fish like in years past and the river is constantly low with the lack of our typical rainfall.