A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
sealegs
Warrant Officer

Post by sealegs » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:12 am

I'm new to Salmon fishing and wanted to see if anyone would be up in the snohomish (522 Bridge in Monroe) for bank fishing this weekend. I also need to buy a good hook and bait for salmon. any recommendations?

Hope to hear from you all!

Thanks,

John

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Newbie

Post by Amx » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:27 am

Welcome, lots of river fishermen and fisherwomen here that will be happy to help. I don't fish for those type fishies in the rivers so can't help at all.
Tom.

Interests: living

sealegs
Warrant Officer

Post by sealegs » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:15 am

Thanks Tom!

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:38 am

Gomakatsu or owner are good hooks. 1\0 or 2/0 octapus depending on what salmon you are fishing for. Saving your salmon eggs will provide you with a good bait. Dont get water on them.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:08 pm

Like Schu said, Gamakatsu and Owner hooks are good, quality hooks. Hook size really depends on salmon you're fishing for, but personally I use size 1's for smaller rivers, and go up to 1/0 for larger. I've never used anything above a 1/0 but thats more preference then anything. As for bait, eggs, I think, will always be the best bait for salmon, well depending on what species you're targeting. But I've never been impressed with store bought eggs, and wouldn't recommend buying them. So until you get a egg supply... Certain colors of Corkies and yarn work fine, as do beads and yarn, various types of spinners and jigs. But I mainly stick to just use eggs, and corkies or beads and yarn.

Chucksrage
Petty Officer

Post by Chucksrage » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Hi Sealegs, Welcome to the site

As others have mentioned Eggs for Kings and silvers is your best bet, being as you will be fishing 522 area of the Snohomish I would recommend either getting some 50/50 dick nites or frog dick nites in the wee size and some pencil lead, that will get you started for pinks/humpies. You could also go with a 1/8 ounce pink/White jig tipped with shrimp under a float for pinks/humpies or the old standby buzzbomb and skirt. I will be in that area but on the boat(white jetcraft sled).
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

sealegs
Warrant Officer

Post by sealegs » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:55 pm

thanks for all the great advice!! I was going to check out the sportsman warehouse on the way home. Im down here at the Amercian Lake VA working and forgot to bring my gear to fish here!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:42 pm

In the salt water pinch the barbs on your hooks. In the river barbs are usually ok. Always carry a regulation book and a lawyer to transelate them for you. Follow the regs to the letter. As far as hooks I use Gomakatsus and owners also. For pinks a 1/0 for coho a 2/0.

sealegs
Warrant Officer

Post by sealegs » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:09 pm

any idea how to properly add yarn to a leader? Im not artistic in any way? I was looking for a simple YouTub video but haven't found one.
thanks!

goonatic
Commander

Post by goonatic » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:27 am

well if you have an egg loop knot then push the line to form a loop, then have a long ish pice of yarn, and just tie a single overhand knot on that loop and pull the loop closed, then trim the yarn accordingly, the knotted yarn helps keep it on the hook and nice and neat, if you just stick yarn in the loop and tighten the loop the yarn will get all "messy" and start falling out

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:22 am

sealegs wrote:any idea how to properly add yarn to a leader? Im not artistic in any way? I was looking for a simple YouTub video but haven't found one.
thanks!
Learn tie an egg loop knot and then pre-tie some hook/leaders to carry with you. You can wrap them onto a short section of pipe insulation (found at hardware store) and then slide that into a gallon ziplock. Keeps it all nice and neat. You can probably youtube that also.

http://www.steelheadstalkers.com/knot_egg-loop.htm

And then slip on your corky and yarn when rigging at the river.
http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/vi ... 24&p=94870

I don't tie any knots in my yarn, just slip a piece in the egg loop and then trip it to the length of the hook. Corky slides on the leader prior to tying the tag end to the inline swivel. There are lots of videos and webpages that you can look at for eggloop tying and corky/yarn rigging instructions.

You can make the leaders how ever long you like, but I rarely go over 5 feet using 8-10lb test. Note: one is easier to tie than fluorocarbon. Feel free to ask questions as learning to tie the egg loop knot takes some practice.
Good luck.
Last edited by BentRod on Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:01 pm

If you're still lost, give me a call and you'll be a pro in no time flat.

sealegs
Warrant Officer

Post by sealegs » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:11 pm

Thanks again for all the great information!!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:34 pm

sealegs wrote:any idea how to properly add yarn to a leader? Im not artistic in any way? I was looking for a simple YouTub video but haven't found one.
thanks!
Do a search for "yarnies". This one I really liked but you need to make the commitment to the hardware... $19 for a vise on Ebay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExEwLp9zPpc

This one looks really good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHYucbxv4HI
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Diamonddave
Petty Officer

Post by Diamonddave » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:26 pm

Chucksrage wrote:Hi Sealegs, Welcome to the site

As others have mentioned Eggs for Kings and silvers is your best bet, being as you will be fishing 522 area of the Snohomish I would recommend either getting some 50/50 dick nites or frog dick nites in the wee size and some pencil lead, that will get you started for pinks/humpies. You could also go with a 1/8 ounce pink/White jig tipped with shrimp under a float for pinks/humpies or the old standby buzzbomb and skirt. I will be in that area but on the boat(white jetcraft sled).

Does anyone have pics of these dick nites?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:32 pm

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Apo ... =yfp-t-900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Interests: living