I want my son to catch a Salmon!!!

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
jcn980
Petty Officer

I want my son to catch a Salmon!!!

Post by jcn980 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:45 am

Alright guys! This is getting nuts! I have been fishing 26 times, 20 of them with my son. We have had 1 fish on for 30 seconds before it shook off. 0 for 26!!!

I live in South Everett. I have done most of my fishing off of the Airport RD, WDFW water access site, Rotary Park and Langus Park area.

Can ANYONE direct me to a better area? Is Bob Heirman going to be better? Should I head up to the 522? Monroe? Sultan?

I have been using the correct techniques (BIG THANKS TO CHONGO469!!!!) - I just can't find any fish.

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Re: I want my son to catch a Salmon!!!

Post by bugmasta » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:36 am

Hire a guide like fishenfreak or natetreat. They will show you spots on the river and proper techniques to use.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:49 am

move up river I say, 522 area and even into the sky now..

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:09 pm

=D> =D> bravo to you and your son for sticking with it! There are many who start out on a pink run, then expect that type of action is the norm. ](*,) This way, once you do get dialed it it will be so much sweeter a reward! Like said, I would start going higher in the systems..
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:24 pm

go north, hit the cascade and don't forget the eggs.
for steelhead go to the skookumchuck in april, easiest place to catch a steelhead.

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:49 pm

I second brat bonkers notion. cascade for silver is HOT. and skookumchuck starting in february and continuing into april is a great steelhead fishery. some real hawgs there as well.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:26 pm

yeah, skook is where I got my first hatchery steelhead at a couple of years ago and I ended up hooking a dozen give or take that day and it you can fish any style there whether it is plunking, float fishing or even drifting and spinners, spoons and plugs work great there too even for the size of it.
Cascade just gets several thousand if not more than 10000 silvers back and they are not hard to catch, just depends on where you are casting and sometimes if you have eggs or not but corkies and beads work good there too but it is an egg fishery up there most of the time except for steelhead, those bite anything you put infront of them.

EAmon ___hoffman123
Lieutenant

Post by EAmon ___hoffman123 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:37 pm

Yeah, I caught my first coho on the cascade, When i was 8, It's a really good fishery and you have a almost certain better chance of catching a coho there.
There are some achievements which are never done in the presence of those who hear of them. Catching salmon is one, and working all night is another.
Anthony Trollope

hanapaa808
Warrant Officer

Post by hanapaa808 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:17 pm

My 2 cents is to hire fishenfreak. Danny will put you and your son on the fish for sure!

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:43 pm

geez I can remember my first coho like it was yesterday...at the ripe age of 6 on the dewatto when the runs were actually good, 10 years later they would be lucky to be half as good but I still keep going back in hopes of seeing massive schools swimming up every 5 minutes rivaling the quilcene runs, stupid gillnets and poaching...

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:35 pm

It was tough while the rain wasn't here. You should start hooking up soon with this new water. There are fish throughout the system now. Upstream has some better water more suited to different types of fishing. I've been hitting them at 522, Tom Eddy, all the way up to the forks, now that the rain is here, it's going to be easy.

chongo469
Commander

Post by chongo469 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Next time you wanna get out, message me.... I know a few spots that you don't need waders, not to snaggy and have a good shot at hooking into some fish.....

ResQ
Captain

Post by ResQ » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:27 pm

I second the booking a NateTreat trip. I have fished with Nate multiple times and he is extremely knowledgeable and good at his craft. He will show you guys a good time. [thumbup]

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:48 am

Chongo we need to hit the stilly!!! Soon!
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

FishingThePacNW
Commander

Post by FishingThePacNW » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:26 am

I just caught my first coho salmon last weekend on the wallace river using eggs under a bobber, i was trying to hook my dad into a fish so i prob only made 15 casts at the most and i was there for an hour and a half! So you guys are sayin the skook is good for steelies? I need to get my first steelhead this year!

ingi
Warrant Officer

Post by ingi » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:21 am

I think one the best ways to learn to fish is to go out and fish. When your out on the water be aware of whats going on. For example the guy up the river has landed 3 fish and you havent caught any... try to see if you notice if he is doing anything different. Maybe he is just barely casting it out(maybe he found the faster water channel that the fish are traveling in) but you are casting as far as you can every time. Im not saying if you see someone catch a fish and copy there every move, but if you see some one with some success see if they are doing anything drastically different from the way your doing it(if you both are using similar techniques). I very commonly will walk the bank and ask people how there doing. More often than not people are friendly back and tell you how they caught there fish if they have had success and it is also to some extent how I have learned everything that I have learned. Good luck out there