Leech lake

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ryan2202
Warrant Officer

Leech lake

Post by ryan2202 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:08 am

Wondering if anyone has been to Leech lake yet; Fly fishing only like on the top of White Pass off HWY 12....? Wondering if it was thawed out yet and if its biting at all?
Ryan

sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

RE:Leech lake

Post by sharpshooter223 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:33 am

i havent been there yet but i think i heard that a very small amount of water was open, but not fishable, i think that was a week or so ago. i would guess that it is still not fishable, but i could be wrong.

ryan2202
Warrant Officer

Post by ryan2202 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:45 am

I might head up there this weekend and see what I can do....Maybe before I head up there I'll call the resort and check on the lake. I'm hoping it is fully thawed now. I went up memorial weekend near Lake Rimrock, when we arrived Friday evening, Leech and Dog lake were still frozen, when we left Monday, they both had thawed out quite a bit with water showing in the middle of each lake...so we'll see. Here's to hoping!
Ryan

sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

Post by sharpshooter223 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:25 pm

im just going to wait till the end of the month at least before i try to fish it.

grsmith51
Angler

Post by grsmith51 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:42 am

The lake is clear of all snow and ice. The road still isn't opened, service crews were doing some cleanup work in the camp grounds. Fishing was slow for myself and another fisherman. The only other one up there caught several slow trolling. No bows.
Greg

ryan2202
Warrant Officer

Post by ryan2202 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:21 am

Thanks for the update! I went up there on 06/06/09 and the Park ranger lady stopped in. I asked her when the road will open and she said not until all the snow clears out of the campgrounds...she was predicting first weekend in July. So hopefully it would be sooner, sounds like it might be now that clean up crews were in the campgrounds! When they stock the triploids, I'll be up there again!
Ryan

ryan2202
Warrant Officer

Post by ryan2202 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:09 am

So I think I've decided that this weekend I'll be going up to Leech Lake to camp and fly fish. I get Friday off, So I'll be leaving out of town Thursday afternoon after work, Give the Wifey a kiss goodbye, load up my dog, pack up the truck, stop at Safeway in Enumclaw for groceries, be up at Leech around 6PM or so. I'm just staying Thursday evening thru Saturday afternoon...Home Sunday for Church. I've been trying to find a way/ an excuse to just get away for a while, This is going to be nice relaxing time on the water!
Ryan