Wanna go fishin?

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
ruthven78
Commander

Wanna go fishin?

Post by ruthven78 » Sat May 24, 2008 1:20 pm

My fins came in and Im itchin to get the pontoon out. I have Tuesday thru Friday off next week (5/27-30) and Sat June 7th thru 11th off as well. Im looking to hit some lakes in Pend Oreille County and below is my list. My goal is to hit every smaller lake in PO Co this year, especially those who havent had reports on in awhile. I'll be startin early, like leaving my house (deer park) by 4am and not leaving till dark....so these would be all day excursions. I'll be trying to get borrowing privileges to by grandfather inlaws Dakota pickup to help hail gear with. Anyone is welcome to tag along. I havent set dates yet but the first one will be next week. The trips are in no particular date order, cause Muskegeon might still be inaccessible due to winter closure/snow.

Trip #1
Muskegeon
Mill Pond
Wolf Lake (survielance mission only)

Trip #2
Nile
Frater
Leo
possibly Carls (aka Little Browns) if I have a good truck

Trip #3
Yocum
Petit

Trip #4
Halfmoon
Cooks
Mystic

Trip #5
Conklin
No Name
Marshal

(more to come, got paged at work so Im thus interupted)
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 26, 2008 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snakes dont have any arms that's why they dont wear vests - Stephen Wright

Lotech Joe
Commodore

RE:Wanna go fishin?

Post by Lotech Joe » Sat May 24, 2008 6:05 pm

Let me know when you plan Trip #3. I'm dying to try Yockum again. Maybe we can talk Marc & his crew into the trip. I hope I'm free when you plan on going. Yockum is a cool lake, but a long way for me (gas wise.)
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat May 24, 2008 6:53 pm

Just a few things to know about some of the lakes.

Mystic and No Name are great little lakes, but you will work very hard getting the pontoon boat up and down the banks around the lakes. Very steep.

Cooks should be way up this year with the run off. Might be a good bet if they have stocked it yet.

Halfmoon is a pretty lake, but the fish are small like in Mystic. I would opt for Browns Lake instead, just up the road from Halfmoon. Browns is a beautiful lake and has some fairly nice rainbows and cutts in it.

If that Dodge Dakota is a 4x4, you should be able to get into Yocum. Can be a very rough road.

Trip #2 should include Starvation Lake. It is down the hill towards Colville. A great little lake with easy access.

Craig, call me. If you don't have my number still, pm me.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat May 24, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Hall
Petty Officer

Post by David Hall » Sun May 25, 2008 8:10 am

Craig - I agree with Marc, do not forget Starvation, Check the regs. Catch and Release only after June 1st, if not mistaken.
also check out Black Lake - just up the road on High way 20 to the rest of the chain. Easy access. Great plan - have fun!

Dave

chironomid_guy
Petty Officer

Post by chironomid_guy » Sun May 25, 2008 8:31 am

Black lake has some great tiger trout fishin.......... PM me for more info........

CHeers The Chironomid Guy
The Chironomid Guy

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Mon May 26, 2008 12:16 am

sorry been very busy at work....working a doubel shift (16hrs) tonight AND tomorow....$$$$ hehe :) black, coffin, and starvation were gonna be on another trip :)

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Tue May 27, 2008 8:11 pm

well I was going to go fishing this week but the wife decided that I could stay home with my son on my day off since she has to work.......well I guess it was also supposed to have thunderstorms but who knows when, so I guess I get to take my son up to horseshoe lake and bank fish......

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:57 am

If I dont get made other plans for Wednesday, I'll probably take the toon up to Coffin and Black Lake....maybe even twin lakes if able......my car only fits me and the boat so either have to drive your own or bring a pickup so both us could fit lol....
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruthven78
Commander

Post by ruthven78 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:33 pm

Welp went to Coffin....gonna go back with a saw to clear a small snag that fell over the road....dang road has been washed out for awhile but I think i could manage to get the toon down and launched...maybe just have to make a couple trips up and down the lil road.

Tried to get to Heritage....thought I found it, but what I saw was the lil pond just north of it...with a brand new fence around it...so I thought it was "heritage" and just had been made private....Google Earth showed me where I went wrong...I just didnt take the right at the fork and drive more.....there wasnt a sign! The only thing I saw for it was a "heritage lake rd" sign from the highway....so gonna revisit that.....kinda got an itch to try Phillips since its on the stocking schedule....tiny lil lake heh...just my size.

Got to Black Lake after taking the wrong way at another fork....im bad with forks in the road I guess...but how was I supposed to know the paved road was not the road to take.....take a left at the fork lol....you will see a "no wake" sign and you then know you are in the right directions....the road to the public launch was a lil rough, got really rutted on the spring thaw....but still ok for my hyundai......but then realized I had forgotten the damn oars!! no fins either since I hadnt gotten proper laces for them et. but i still caught a fish....after getting frustrated from spending 30 min trying to remember how to tie a nail knot, that was after assembling the toon and inflating it....then realized I didnt have the oars.....so I was damned if I was going to pack up after getting that knot tied!! I waded out thigh deep, casted, and caught a 6" tiger trout lol...let it go too......so Im going to have to go back again.....

Im not gonna load this up with photos so here is a link to the photos on my Flickr page....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruthven78/ ... 697747733/
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lotech Joe
Commodore

Post by Lotech Joe » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:54 am

Nice flickr's Craig. Great reports :cheers:
Where you go is less important than how you get there.
Fish With A Friend
Lotech Joe