Top water tricks!

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
8theB8
Warrant Officer

Top water tricks!

Post by 8theB8 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:39 am

Deleted by author :salut:
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The five phases of a fisherman:
1) I want to catch one.
2) I want to catch a limit.
3) I want to catch a really big one.
4) I want to catch them the way I want to catch them.
5) I want to help others catch them.

spindog
Commander

RE:Top water tricks!

Post by spindog » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:14 am

Those are some good ideas for tweakin different lures, I'll have to give it a try! I'd never really done more than mabey bending a blade or changing out spinnerbait blade combinations and such. I've got some lipless crankbaits heading to the work bench!!
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cast first, worry later.

bcalvert
Lieutenant

Post by bcalvert » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:18 am

Another great post! Thanks for the effort 8theB8. Good insight, and better yet it keeps me thinking about bass instead of work.
Shoot me a PM next time you head north. I am still anxious to help balance your boat by filling the back seat.
Washington State Pond Jumperz
Washington's First Electric Only Bass Club
Hosting five open entry electric motor bass tournaments in 2012.

For the rich, there is therapy. For the rest of us, there is FISHING!

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:57 pm

Right on bro. Great stuff.

Here is an article I wrote a couple years back - "Tuning In" The Buzz for Lunker Largemouth

It will be interesting to here how others alter baits around here. To me it's fun and some baits you can really inhance by tinkering with them. Besides, nothing beats the feeling of hookn into a fatty on a bait you made or tricked out.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:47 pm

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Can't wait for topwater fishin'.........By far my favorite...Love them frogs:compress: :compress: :compress:
Please Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/thatguyskimpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:19 pm

skimpy wrote::bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Can't wait for topwater fishin'.........By far my favorite...Love them frogs:compress: :compress: :compress:
I heard that!!! Can't wait to try that tube trick too. Thanks
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:51 pm

It just about that time to start throwing some topwater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Some waters are staying in the :sunny: 60's....[thumbup]
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.youtube.com/thatguyskimpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bassmasterderek
Commander

Post by bassmasterderek » Wed May 05, 2010 12:35 pm

I can never resisit throwing topwaters and it is never too early for topwater. Got one a zoom horny toad in april at Harts lake. Got one in april of 08' too. And I am already throwin my spook (the funnest bait EVER) just haven't hooked up yet. Can't wait to try the new money hounds I ordered!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 05, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lemagoat
Warrant Officer

Post by lemagoat » Wed May 05, 2010 12:42 pm

Already got a few on topwaters so far, it's never too early.
Live life, Love your wife, drive a goat, Catch a hog and be happy

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed May 05, 2010 12:58 pm

lemagoat wrote:Already got a few on topwaters so far, it's never too early.
You are the man, I tried the other night with a perch colored popper and nothing.
"One more......."

smoke14
Petty Officer

Post by smoke14 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:07 pm

Its never too early for topwater. Had a nice bass blow up my Rage Tail Toad out at Newman last weekend, water temp was 51.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Wed May 05, 2010 4:18 pm

bassmasterderek wrote:I can never resisit throwing topwaters and it is never too early for topwater. Got one a zoom horny toad in april at Harts lake. Got one in april of 08' too. And I am already throwin my spook (the funnest bait EVER) just haven't hooked up yet. Can't wait to try the new money hounds I ordered!
Nice 2 see you back posting again "D",..as for Top~Water,..nothing beats it,..especially when you can see the water swirl behind your lure as you retrieve it back 2 the boat then WHAM! Haven't thrown anything on top yet,..then again I haven't fished much,..allot going on,..but soon!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Phill Smart
Petty Officer

Post by Phill Smart » Wed May 05, 2010 6:54 pm

bassmasterderek wrote:I can never resisit throwing topwaters and it is never too early for topwater. Got one a zoom horny toad in april at Harts lake. Got one in april of 08' too. And I am already throwin my spook (the funnest bait EVER) just haven't hooked up yet. Can't wait to try the new money hounds I ordered!
I THINK I remember someone saying they were out for good. ...guess good is not forever.Top water is vision bite only...no skill to catch just like sight fishing.I like fishing off shore one foot deep canals or structure that I have worked for instead of blind casting and hoping for luck.

skimpy
Commander

Post by skimpy » Wed May 05, 2010 8:50 pm

Haven't caught any on my Spro froggies yet. [cursing] Gonna try again next weekend though. I love hearing that **SPLASH**[woot]

lemagoat
Warrant Officer

Post by lemagoat » Thu May 06, 2010 6:40 am

Phill Smart wrote:
I THINK I remember someone saying they were out for good. ...guess good is not forever.Top water is vision bite only...no skill to catch just like sight fishing.I like fishing off shore one foot deep canals or structure that I have worked for instead of blind casting and hoping for luck.
I dont agree at all, There is more to fishing topwater then just throwing it and hoping to get a strike, where to throw and presentation matters. why the slaps on bmd? He is a good guy and good basser. If I misunderstood you I'm sorry.
Live life, Love your wife, drive a goat, Catch a hog and be happy

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Thu May 06, 2010 7:23 am

lemagoat wrote:
Phill Smart wrote:
I dont agree at all, There is more to fishing topwater then just throwing it and hoping to get a strike, where to throw and presentation matters. why the slaps on bmd? He is a good guy and good basser. If I misunderstood you I'm sorry.
BMD is a good guy. Glad to see him on the forum again.

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Thu May 06, 2010 10:02 am

kzoo wrote:
lemagoat wrote:
Phill Smart wrote: I THINK I remember someone saying they were out for good. ...guess good is not forever.Top water is vision bite only...no skill to catch just like sight fishing.I like fishing off shore one foot deep canals or structure that I have worked for instead of blind casting and hoping for luck.
BMD is a good guy. Glad to see him on the forum again.

I second that Kzoo !! BMD has been around here for awhile and im glad to see that he remembers his WL.com fam !! [thumbup]

Now if i can only figure out a way to get the Olyboyz out to the pic nic this year [blush]

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Thu May 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Cannot wait to get my first topwater of the year. Am throwing the toad BMD!
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Thu May 06, 2010 5:01 pm

lemagoat wrote:
Phill Smart wrote:
I'd have 2 agree here Lem,..way more than just cast and retreive and hope and pray,..cadence,..when 2 set the hook,..what bait 2 throw and a whole lot more,..2 say that there's no skill in sight fishing well I'll leave that alone,..someone else can ring the bell on that comment!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu May 06, 2010 5:18 pm

Ain't no skill sight fishing.

Ya just sneak up on the bass, jump out of the boat, pounce on the biggie fishy, wrascle/wruscle/wrescle/fight them to the bottom of the lake without drowning, swim back up to the surface and hope the boat hasn't drifted off a half mile in the wind, try to climb back into the boat with the fishie in your arms, after a few tries you let go of the fish, climb into the boat and hope the fishy hasn't swum away, lean over the gunnel, grab the fish without falling out of the boat, jump up and down when you're successfull and hope you don't lose your balance and fall out of the boat, take a picture because nobody will believe you did all that for a 1 1/2 pound Bass.
Image Image Image
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu May 06, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living