Lake union on Eastlake side

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Lake union on Eastlake side

Post by meandermeadows » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:35 am

So I discovered while talking to my friend Quadfather yesterday that there are smallmouth bass in Lake Union. Please don't judge; I am fairly new to fishing, and haven't done any bass fishing yet, although I have been getting geared up to do so. After sifting through dozens of reports it seems evident that the popular spots are on the canal over towards Fremont. I see guys going down to the lake with float tubes though, and Quadfather says he has heard of fishing on this side of the lake before. Does anyone fish this side and, if so, where, and what do you use? It would really enable me to get out fishing a lot more often if I could just jump in at the park that is 5 blocks from my house.
Fisken Morder!!!

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Lake union on Eastlake side

Post by G-Man » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:35 am

Yes there are small and largemouth bass in Lake Union, as well as perch, crappie and pikeminnow. It is popular to fish in amoungst the houseboats and as long as you don't make contact with them, you're in the right. Most people living on the lake are used to it, but there's always those one or two owners who feel they own the water underneath their "house." I've used jigs and plastics and kept away from anything with a treble hook. Mostly to keep from inadvertently snagging up on floating objects like people's houses.

Now the bad news. Lake Union, the ship canal, and really any freshwater east of the Ballard Locks is currently closed to all fishing. "All fishing" meaning no catch and release and no catch and keep, regardless of method used or the species targeted.

As soon as NOAA gets around to approving the recent agreement between the tribes and the State, the fishery will be re-opened. I know some of us are checking the emergency rules posting on the WDFW site daily, some more often, and as soon as the ban is lifted, I'm certain it will be posted on this and other sites.

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:54 am

Oh man, that sucks...but thanks for the head's up! And it is good to know about the houseboats. I would always be respectful.

Do you know anything about an old broken down dock that is out there somewhere?
Fisken Morder!!!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:34 pm

I typically stick to the north side of the Lake, I think what you are referring to is down towards the south end near the dry dock.

pizzaman
Petty Officer

Post by pizzaman » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:42 pm

I've fished lake Union a bit. The canal down in Eastlake isn't too bad. I also go out in my kayak and have had decent luck around gasworks park. Mostly the fish are on the smaller side. I mainly use small spinners or rapala's. As mentioned it is closed right now but supposedly it will open soon.

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:21 pm

Can anyone confirm whether or not Lake union has opened?
Fisken Morder!!!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:26 pm

Yes it is. Per the State regs, Lake Union falls under the Lake Washington Ship Canal. Note: the "fishing ban" was officially lifted Friday afternoon. You can check any body of water you want withoug having to sift though all the other rule changes. Just select Lake Washington Ship Canal and here is what you'll find:

WA State Fishing and Shellfishing Rules

Emergency Rule Updates and News

Please note: These updates reflect changes to the Sportfishing Pamphlet. Rules found in the Sportfishing Pamphlet are in effect unless otherwise noted in the changes listed below.
Rule Changes > Freshwater Fishing > in a particular lake > Emergency rules currently in effect for Washington, Lake Ship Canal (King County)

There are no emergency fishing rules currently in effect for Washington, Lake Ship Canal (King County). Please refer to the current Fishing in Washington Sport Fishing Rules Pamphlet.

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Post by meandermeadows » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:34 pm

Awesome G-Man! I'm going to have to get down there soon!
Fisken Morder!!!