Grubs:best color, length, and brand?

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

RE:Grubs:best color, length, and brand?

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:28 am

HillbillyGeek wrote:If it's cloudy or you're fishing in low-light conditions, try watermelon w/black & red flake. If the sun is bright, go with green pumpkin w/black flake.

I consider the weightless senko to be a finesse bait. If you are impatient and fish fast, you're not going to catch many fish. Twitch, twitch, pause. (repeat as necessary) Don't be afraid to mix it up. If twitching and pausing isn't working, try crawling it along the bottom real slow. Get creative and the bass will let you know what they prefer -- and it varies depending on a buh-zillion factors... #-o
The colors really did work out for me. I just picked up some of the 4" though I didn’t hook into anything of substantial size I did feel it was a successful evening to go along with the maiden voyage of the float tube. Now I need to work on that patience thing.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

delyakguy
Warrant Officer

Post by delyakguy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:42 am

Been using Green Pimpkin Zoom Fat Alberts one 3/8oz chart. head, caught several nice perch and few bites from bass. But they have great action.

Anyone have any diff. ways to rig hula grubs? The double tailed yamamotos. Tried 3/8oz regular jig head and 1/8oz darter jig. Darter is good to pop it under water, it suspends nicely.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:09 pm

delyakguy wrote:Been using Green Pimpkin Zoom Fat Alberts one 3/8oz chart. head, caught several nice perch and few bites from bass. But they have great action.

Anyone have any diff. ways to rig hula grubs? The double tailed yamamotos. Tried 3/8oz regular jig head and 1/8oz darter jig. Darter is good to pop it under water, it suspends nicely.
Those hula grubs sure are pretty, but after several attempts, I haven't caught squat with them. Same with the fat IKA. Some guys say rigging them backwards helps, but I tried that too. The fat IKA may be too big and could have an intimidating effect on all but the biggest largemouth bass. From what I've read, they work in other parts of the country but I don't know anyone in Washington who swears by them. Could also be why stores around here don't carry them... :-k

Another down-side to the hula grub is cost. You can get twice as many Yamamoto curly-tail or DT grubs for the same price. (20/pk vs. 10)
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

delyakguy
Warrant Officer

Post by delyakguy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:32 am

Quantity of hula vs single tail does suck, I have had some luck with hula, but smaller ones. ALso hasnt been any better with other lures, slowed down drastically lately! But there was post early this month at Black Lake, 9lb LM off Hula grub by ernsting. He said he rigs a diff way than normal, asked him about diff ways but he has not been back since post. Go figure-stop in brag about 9lb and not stick around for the praise, lol.

I have heard good things about Ikas too. Guess they best during pre- and spawn.
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway

delyakguy
Warrant Officer

Post by delyakguy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:41 am

Quantity of hula vs single tail does suck but on bait.com(yamamoto's site) you can get packs for $2.98 10/bag, I have had some luck with hula, but smaller ones. ALso hasnt been any better with other lures, slowed down drastically lately! But there was post early this month at Black Lake, 9lb LM off Hula grub by ernsting. He said he rigs a diff way than normal, asked him about diff ways but he has not been back since post. Go figure-stop in brag about 9lb and not stick around for the praise, lol.

I have heard good things about Ikas too. Guess they best flippin'

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:29 am

HillbillyGeek wrote:
delyakguy wrote: The fat IKA may be too big and could have an intimidating effect on all but the biggest largemouth bass.
Thats most definitely incorrect. And I would be saying this before I got into swimbaits. Ive caught my fair share of 1-2lb bass on fat ikas. Hula grubs too.

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:36 pm

I have used fat ika's briefly. They do work, all size bass will bite those things. Keep trying. And the most common way of rigging them is backwards, so they swim away from you.
aka Powerworm

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:18 pm

ChrisB wrote:I have used fat ika's briefly. They do work, all size bass will bite those things. Keep trying. And the most common way of rigging them is backwards, so they swim away from you.
Thanks for the info. I'll keep trying.

The fat ika is sweet because they are very castable when rigged weightless.

Hmm... that's the understatement of the year -- I can cast them a country mile, even with heavy line. They also have a faster sink rate than senkos, which saves time in deeper water (10+ feet).

It sure takes a big hook to rig a weedless ika. I use a gammy 4/0 EWG, and I know guys who use size 5/0!!! On the bright side, dinks can't even get a hook that big in their mouths!

Speaking of dinks, what do you guys do when you're getting pecked to death by perch? Man that pisses me off! They can't get the lure in their mouths, but they'll still follow it and peck away. I've pretty much quit using lizards for this reason. Perch love 'em.
When I use 5" yamamoto super grubs, they frequently come back with the tail missing.
Thanks for nothing, Mr. perch... ](*,)
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

bpm2000
Captain

Post by bpm2000 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:29 pm

HillbillyGeek wrote:
ChrisB wrote:I have used fat ika's briefly. They do work, all size bass will bite those things. Keep trying. And the most common way of rigging them is backwards, so they swim away from you.
Thanks for the info. I'll keep trying.

The fat ika is sweet because they are very castable when rigged weightless.

Hmm... that's the understatement of the year -- I can cast them a country mile, even with heavy line. They also have a faster sink rate than senkos, which saves time in deeper water (10+ feet).

It sure takes a big hook to rig a weedless ika. I use a gammy 4/0 EWG, and I know guys who use size 5/0!!! On the bright side, dinks can't even get a hook that big in their mouths!

Speaking of dinks, what do you guys do when you're getting pecked to death by perch? Man that pisses me off! They can't get the lure in their mouths, but they'll still follow it and peck away. I've pretty much quit using lizards for this reason. Perch love 'em.
When I use 5" yamamoto super grubs, they frequently come back with the tail missing.
Thanks for nothing, Mr. perch... ](*,)
dude rig em backwards so they sink away from you - cast them under docks and pad edges and they get way under there.

We are bustin 11/0 hooks on 10" senkos - 4/0 a 1lb bass can fit in their mouths if they really want it.

perch are annoying yes - i if yo u wnat to keep fishing plastics try to stay away from the ones with a lot of appendages like lizards, brush hogs. twist tail grubs, etc - try a beaver or a hard bait to get them off.

T Dot
Commander

Post by T Dot » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:19 pm

bpm2000 wrote:We are bustin 11/0 hooks on 10" senkos
thems illegal in dis state

:joker:
.: Half Man Half Amazing :.

WTB:
- SHIMANO Curado 201 HDSV
- SHIMANO Curado 301 DSV