Best Bassin Technique

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
qwerfdsa12345
Petty Officer

Best Bassin Technique

Post by qwerfdsa12345 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi, I don't know anything about bass fishing. I was wondering if you guys could be so I kind as to what the best rig/technique for bass was. I have a boat and fish for trout, so i'm not too new to fishing. I have heard a lot about dead sticking senkos as a good beginners technique. What say you?

kzoo
Commodore

RE:Best Bassin Technique

Post by kzoo » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:18 pm

I agree with the senko, probably the best bait to start with. Only problem is that you'll have to wait until the water warms up. It doesn't hurt to have more selection. Where do u plan on fishing? East or west side? Small lakes or large lakes? Smallies or Largies?
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qwerfdsa12345
Petty Officer

Post by qwerfdsa12345 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:27 pm

You know what, I would like to do bass fishing after I give up on trout. I don't like leaving a lake empty handed, so if I don't get any trout I want some bass. Don't get me wrong, I've caught a few bass on the old wedding ring/worm combo, but I don't think that that's the most successful technique. I fish on small lakes in king and snohomish county, and I want to know some winter tactics. I was planning on going this weekend. Largies are the only things that I've caught before. Little dinks though.

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:33 pm

qwerfdsa12345 wrote:You know what, I would like to do bass fishing after I give up on trout. I don't like leaving a lake empty handed, so if I don't get any trout I want some bass. Don't get me wrong, I've caught a few bass on the old wedding ring/worm combo, but I don't think that that's the most successful technique. I fish on small lakes in king and snohomish county, and I want to know some winter tactics. I was planning on going this weekend. Largies are the only things that I've caught before. Little dinks though.
lol you come to a bass board and want tips on how to catch them when you say you just want to keep them???? lol good luck buddy.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

SPARKY101
Captain

Post by SPARKY101 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:55 pm

tnj8222 wrote:
qwerfdsa12345 wrote:You know what, I would like to do bass fishing after I give up on trout. I don't like leaving a lake empty handed, so if I don't get any trout I want some bass. Don't get me wrong, I've caught a few bass on the old wedding ring/worm combo, but I don't think that that's the most successful technique. I fish on small lakes in king and snohomish county, and I want to know some winter tactics. I was planning on going this weekend. Largies are the only things that I've caught before. Little dinks though.
lol you come to a bass board and want tips on how to catch them when you say you just want to keep them???? lol good luck buddy.
Ya what he said...ARE YOU FO'REEL...:-#
Member:Capital City Bass Club

Team OLYBOYZ

http://s477.photobucket.com/albums/rr135/sparky240v/

qwerfdsa12345
Petty Officer

Post by qwerfdsa12345 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:33 pm

I don't take them HOME! I hate fish. I meant I don't want to come home without catching a fish. I don't like coming home skunked. I don't eat any freshwater fish. You guys all got the wrong interpretation. I don't eat trout either. I'm not a meat fisherman. I don't do this for food. This is my hobby.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:46 pm

Where're ya fishn at? Might help a little.
Other than that, sekos texas rigged are a good start. I would also recommend some creature baits and a jig. I could go on, but a little detail from you could pinpoint the best technique and bait for your area and lake.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:50 pm

tnj8222 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with keeping a few smallmouth bass. They are starting to overpopulate, which is why the WDFW lifted the slot limit for them.

If you want to catch fish for the dinner table, perch are they way to go. They are plentiful, easy to catch (very aggressive), taste MUCH better than bass & trout, and I *think* you can keep as many as you want. The only down-side is that they don't get as big.

I'm not surprised that the wedding ring/worm combo isn't very productive right now. Power bait and small jigs work better this time of the year. Trolling wedding rings works GREAT in the spring -- especially on stockers because they tend to stay close to the surface for a few weeks after being planted.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:30 pm

Spinnerbaits up shallow in the spring are also a pretty good way to get started bassing....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

ChrisB
Captain

Post by ChrisB » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:11 pm

I'm not buying it haha
aka Powerworm

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:50 pm

GO TO WEST COAST CUSTOM TACKLE WEBSITE AND GET TWO OF EVERYTHING ON THERE .. THAT SITE IS PERFECT FOR WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR .. IF YOU MENTION WASHLAKES.COM THERES A CHANCE U WILL GET A DISCOUNT OR EXTRA BAITS .. :cheers:

BBD :batman:

Dobyns Rods
http://www.dobynsrods.com/

Panic Minnow
http://density-tackle.com/

3 Rivers marine
3riversmarine.com

B.A.S.S member
F.L.W. member
T.B.F member

Official WashingtonLakes.com Video Consultant

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:11 pm

It's good thing you dont sell cars Dez ... LOL
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

qwerfdsa12345
Petty Officer

Post by qwerfdsa12345 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:05 pm

ChrisB wrote:I'm not buying it haha
Haha, haha, not funny. The only bass I've ever caught were two little 4 and 5 inch dinks. They were largemouths, and they smelled horrible and slimy. I wouldn't eat them. I don't see why you guys don't believe me. Trust me for once, there was a little misunderstanding. They were smaller than any of the trout that day, but they fought harder than some of the 14"er trout that I caught. I want to catch bass because they fight way harder than trout. That's it. For the last time, I will release them. I fly fish, so I know about C&R. I like to lake fish whenever though, because I usually fly fish on camping trips. I live by Beaver Lake in Sammamish, and I've seen some pretty good bass come out of that lake. That's where I caught and RELEASED my dinks. As I said, they were caught on wedding rings. I want to know what a good winter beginner's rig for LMB is. I.E., I've heard about a texas rigged senko dead-sticked working good. So I was wondering what y'all think.

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:10 pm

How does one pronounce your moniker, Mr. Qwerfdsa12345? Inquiring minds would like to know.
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

ICSpots
Petty Officer

Post by ICSpots » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:18 pm

Old school techniques ...

- Telephone Fishing for catch & release

- DuPont Spinners for keepers

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

qwerfdsa12345
Petty Officer

Post by qwerfdsa12345 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:25 pm

kuh-were-fuh-duh-suh-one-two-three-four-five. Don't ask. Anyways, we are getting off topic. Dead sticked t-rigged senko. How is it used and what colors are good? I don't know what a dead sticked t-rigged senko is. I know that a senko is a type of wildly successful plastic worm. It was in the March 2008 Field and Stream.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:29 pm

This is how Gary hooks it up. I like the texas rig, but some guys like using the wacky rig. I stick with green hues, watermelon and green pumpkin. Just cast it near or a pocket in weeds or lillies and watch your line. Dead sticking means you don't do anything, just give it slack and let it sink to the bottom.

http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/senko-gary.shtml
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qwerfdsa12345
Petty Officer

Post by qwerfdsa12345 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:32 pm

All weightless right? For dead sticking, what rig works better?

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:35 pm

qwerfdsa12345 wrote:All weightless right? For dead sticking, what rig works better?
Yes! weightless. I prefer texas rigs, it's weedless. If I'm bed fishing, I'll throw wacky rigs.

sharpshooter223
Warrant Officer

Post by sharpshooter223 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:36 pm

there are two common rigs for plastic baits, carolina and texas, you can get a lot of diagrams of them online. my first choice in a bait is usually a grub or a tube though just rigged with a jig head. for any long baits like a worm or senko then i would say just use a texas rig, or if you want your lure to be able to slide on top on weeds then carolina rig. by the way hillbilly, the slot limit on smallmouth was lifted because they dont have the same stages of maturity as largemouth do. the daily limit in a number of areas was increased though so that more could be culled so they dont overpopulate.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.