Cold water period of spring

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Cold water period of spring

Post by Amx » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:09 am

Some fish have been taged.

Yeas ago all the fish were dumped by each boat after the fish for those 2 people in that boat were weighed. The boats were required to go out into the lake about halfway out, or some such good distance, so the fish could be better dispersed and not 'clog up' the launch area and so be suseptical to meat fishermen right off the launch and banks.

Since about the mid '90s there has been a pontoon boat with BIG tanks that is used to disperce the fish all up and down the lakes. Altho the individual fish don't get back to their own areas, they also don't get stacked up in one area.
Tom.

Interests: living

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:21 am

FANTASTIC way of dispersing fish.I like that. Again thanks Tom. Thats what makes this site so awesome.

edge540
Commander

Post by edge540 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:06 pm

Well I pounded sawyer all day with no luck. Highest water temp we observed was 50.2 while most of the lake is 47-49.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Sawyer this late morning. I got one bite = one fish. Smallie at 1lb 9oz in 2.5 foot of water. 46 degree temp. Took a ride around the lake before I left and saw 50 degrees max.
Tom.

spindog
Commander

Post by spindog » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:07 pm

Amx wrote:Sawyer this late morning. I got one bite = one fish. Smallie at 1lb 9oz in 2.5 foot of water. 46 degree temp. Took a ride around the lake before I left and saw 50 degrees max.
Nice! AMX :cheers:

Lake- unspoken
Saturday, one 2lb male from a shallow dock and saw a couple huge females lurking around the docks. High water visibility.
Water was high, and gin clear, high flow rates at inlets and outlets.
Water temps 43, and found 47 degree as the highest, being in the shallow west side at the end of the day. The shallow
northwest side was actually cooler. Where I was at the sun only made a 1 to 2 degree difference surface temperature
within the body of the main lake during the course of the entire day. Main lake stayed in the mid 40 degree range all day.
Saturday sure was a nice day to be on the water. :cheers:
Cast first, worry later.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:14 pm

Well I haven't gotten skunked this year - yet. [laugh] [omg] Ok, it was only my first trip to the lake this year, since Nov. [laugh] Looks like it's gonna rain for the next week so I'm going shopping, and need a new license anyway, they are due in 1 week - April 1st.
Tom.

edge540
Commander

Post by edge540 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:29 pm

Your the man Tom! We couldn't buy a freaking fish today. However it was a heck of a nice day and I had fun trying out some new gear. [biggrin] I swear its been 6 months since I was on a boat in the sun 8-[

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:06 am

Looks like the weather might be clear today. Should I try again today for a skunk? :scratch: [laugh]
Tom.

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:53 am

Tom, the answer is Yes. I too was able to get out yesterday to Lake Goodwin. Tough bite for sure. Water temps in the low to mid 40's. Got a 3.5 smallie on a jerkbait. Nothing happening with my usual smallie spots, started working docks for largies. I noticed a slight point with some scattered rock in between a couple of docks. Made a cast on the outside (deeper water) and started working it back in and it hit in probably about 6 - 8' on the way back in. 1 bite 1 fish all day. Good luck all.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:05 am

Ya, but I'm a wimp anymore, I hate getting wet. [crying] [laugh] We'll see in the next hour or 2. I didn't even fish my usual spots. I save those for week day trips. [biggrin]

Some day I'll have to get back up to Goodwin, it was skimpy but fun the other time I was there a couple years ago.
Tom.

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:06 am

Goodwin can be hit or miss this time of year although with some warmer temps and some stable weather it should be good in a couple weeks. Small lake but fun. I hear what your saying about the rain, it takes a bit of the fun out of it. Looks like it will be around for a while. Oh well

Bigbass Dez
Admiral

Post by Bigbass Dez » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:45 pm

Goodwin is getting action , I got out yesterday for 4hrs and we manage to put 6 great looking fish in the boat .. Most came on a football head in 6ft and ryan got one on a 4+lb smallie that choked his crankbait in 5ft ... :-$

basser90
Warrant Officer

Post by basser90 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:53 am

Yup, hit and miss. We had a little "fish in" the other day and the very few fish came in with several good anglers working it hard for several hours. Biggest fish fish came on reaction. I knew it was just a mater of time, especially where I caught my big smallie. Gotta love Goodwin. Good job Dez =D>