How to get Bass to bite

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
clarkhess122
Petty Officer

How to get Bass to bite

Post by clarkhess122 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:29 pm

Hi all, I'm pretty new to bass fishing and I keep seeing large bass examine my lure and then turn away. #-o I've tried recasting in the same spot but I can't seem to get them interested again...any tips that will help these hogs latch on?
Thanks!
Clark Hess:
Born to fish, forced to work.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:How to get Bass to bite

Post by Amx » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:53 pm

Tom.

Interests: living

Bass Woody
Petty Officer

Post by Bass Woody » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:58 pm

"here fishy fishy" sometimes works. lol sorry could not resist. all those links are good ones to read. quick tidbit try changing color as you have them interested but not ready to kill. try changing the cadence of your retrieves. try changing your lure. If they bit everything then there would be no big fish, lol. keep trying and when you get it snap a picture and tell us about it. let the fun begin!! good luck

oh ya and the bigger they are the harder it is to trick them. you may want to cast around the shores for the dumber smaller ones to practice for that hog.
Last edited by Bass Woody on Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LIP RIPPER

The HAWG HUNTER
Warrant Officer

Post by The HAWG HUNTER » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:14 am

Right now, on our Lks is what you would call the post spawn blues. This is when the lure that the pig looked at is the right one, but there filling up on fry bass. Soon the fry will be gone and the pigs will once again tell there weight. Hang in there and try something the bass has never seen. Tie two hooks to your line and use two worms side by side or apart by a few inches. Just a thought.
My Dad would say," Boy, some people just can't fish"

clarkhess122
Petty Officer

Post by clarkhess122 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:25 pm

lol I'll have to try the "here fishy fishy" next time...that sounds like it has some potential. Thanks for the tips I'll have to try the worm deal...and I'll definitely post some pics.
Clark Hess:

basspro
Warrant Officer

Post by basspro » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:57 pm

Sometimes really big fish just need that something extra for them to bite. It maybe your bait doesn't have enough action, or too much action. I find big fish that follow a bait sometimes just want the bait barely moving or not at all.

Take for example a time I was at Banks Lake. I saw a 6+ lb largie sitting in less than two feet of water-not on a bed, it was late July, next to some reeds. I threw a tube past this fish and swam it right in front of her and let it drop to the bottom about a foot from her nose. I then twitched it and watched her nose down and look at it. I did this like 5 times without her sucking my bait down.

I was perplexed as to why she would not eat my bait, so I threw it in there one more time and just let it sit there without twitching it, backed my boat away from where I couldnt see her and just waited. As I waited for my bait to be picked up I was wondering if she was still there. 10 minutes later my line starts moving to the right and the battle was on. She ended up being just over 6 lbs.

I'm sure these fish get so used to seeing these baits move that they just refuse to bite (Shaken/twitched/etc)
That when a bait does fall in front of them and doesnt move for a long period of time that they finally commit to it. Sometimes it is just the opposite. You need to put more action in a a bait.

For finicky bass I usually throw the following:

Swim Baits
Shaky Head Worms
Frogs
Top Waters
Drop Shot

Hope this helps.

We will soon be having bass fishing seminars at Limit Out Performance Marine to discuss ways to catch more bass here in the Northwest.

Russ

Ocktane
Warrant Officer

Post by Ocktane » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:06 pm

Trying insulting them and making threats to their family! Sometimes this... ok that never works... but dangit if it doesn't make you feel better!!
"I believe that hard work really makes a man, but everyone should wet a line, every now and then." -Eric Church

clarkhess122
Petty Officer

Post by clarkhess122 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:58 pm

@basspro-Thanks thats really helpful! now I just gotta get out on the water and give it a try... thats crazy that it took that long for the bass to finally hit it. Haha I should try being more patient. :P also I would be really interested in attending some seminars on bass fishing, when are those?

@ocktane- lol! thats usually what I do if I happen to hook one and then it shakes the hook...#-o
Last edited by clarkhess122 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clark Hess:

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:03 pm

Ya, I insulted a big one yesterday when it got off my jitterbug, and again today when a good sized one got off the spinnerbait, musta grabbed the blade instead of the hook.
Tom.

Interests: living

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:42 pm

If you can see them, dont bother fishing for them for the most part.